April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (David Williamson, Kip, battle, fallschirmjaeger, Jimmy W, Jeremy Pearce, 1 invisible), 424 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking for opinions on Galazan produced Fox shotguns from folks that have owned them or spent a fair amount of time shooting them. I shot a friend's 20 gauge today that was really nice. I commented on the gun and he insinuated it could be bought (as always he wants something else). For me this would be a fairly significant purchase and I would rather have a 16 gauge. But the opportunity is there at a fair price. Interested in any positive or negative thoughts before I lay out that much coin. I did a forum search and didn't come up with much in the way of actual reviews or opinions. Thanks.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Go to the Fox collectors site. They have their opinions and for the most part they are pretty good opinions.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

There has been some discussion about them on the SSM forum as well. Several posters there own one or more and will be able to provide some input. There are several 20 ga. CSMCs for sale on Gunsinternational currently to give you some idea on market pricing.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I visited CSM a few yrs back and looked at a friend's Fox in process, while we were visiting for a tour of the RBL line. The Fox parts were very well machined. When I saw the finished gun later, it was impressively finished. I would be proud to own a CSM Fox. I think you'll find the 20ga a respectable gauge for all upland use.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/09/12 12:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I traded into this one for well south of 10K

20 gauge XE, 26" Full/Mod, DT, English, Exhibition wood, Skeletal butt, 5lb 11oz. 98+%
Thusfar I've only shot Skeet. I'm reloading 3/4oz Spreaders and I'm averaging 22's/23's. To say I love it would be a gross understatement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't own one but have been around several. The only criticism I have is the wood seems to be selected for figure only and not much importance given to strength. Both I have handled had the grain turning sideways in the wrist and head of the stock. One is already cracking and I'm afraid a slight sideways bump will complete the fracture. Just something to be aware of......and avoid.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 16 gauge I ordered from CSMC to my specifications including engraving and 'Fox' banner in gold.
It is as fine as any shotgun manufactured today and as fine if not better than any Fox ever manufactured. Many collectors turn up their noses at CSMC guns and therein lies the difference.
For collectors, it doesn't matter that much if the gun fits or every specification is to their liking, what matters is the gun is 100% original or as close to 100% as they can afford/find.
To a shooter, a gun that has a stock made to your specifications is a joy to hunt with and the ability to order a Fox with whatever other specifications you want is only limited by your resources and imagination.
So if you are ordering a 'Custom'(bespoke to some) Fox, it's as fine as any gun available today.
If you are purchasing on the secondary market it may or may not be a good value. Certainly if it doesn't fit you can tell yourself you got a good deal and either use as is or get it to fit.
For me the allure of the CSMC Fox was to get a gun made to my specifications 100%.
I don't think I would purchase one on the Secondary market.
My 16 gauge was also targeted at under 5# 13oz.
With 26" barrels it actually weighs 5# 9oz.
A joy to carry and a joy to shoot with 3/4oz loads.

Exhibition Circassian Walnut.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Up my way, there are some guys who've done some of both. That is, start with an original Fox and then customize it--wood, metal, etc--to their desires. The result is some gorgeous guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First let me state that I have never owned a CSMC Fox but I have always wanted one & I have looked at many on the secondary market & a few CSMC display guns at various shooting events.
I had one on order but cancled my order when I ran into difficulties with CSMC over wood selection. Joe Wood is spot on in his comments that many of the CSMC foxes have poorly grained wood in the head & wrist. I would also comment that in my observation the workmanship varies significantly on these guns. Some are very nice & some I would not want to take home.
I discussed the workmanship issue with large nationally known dealer who has more than a few CSMC Foxes come through his shop. He concured & his opionion was that the quality depended upon the gunsmiths that were working for CSMC at the time the gun was made. He seemed to think that turnover in the highly skilled people at CSMC was significant.
My suggestion would be to look at as many CSMC Foxes as possible before making a purchase & choose carefully.

Sidelock
Sidelock

G-W, what grade is the gun you are looking at?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.