May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bob Jurewicz, Thaine, Roundsworth), 336 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,755
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My W. & C. Scott Premier hammergun just came back from my 'smith. I can't believe how much condition there was under 128 years of grit and grime.

Check it out:

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

The gun came in its original case. This is the label - circa 1879:

[/url]

This is the name of the original owner. This is on the outside of the case. If anyone know anything about more about him, please let me know:

[/url]

This gentleman's son or grandson survived the sinking of the Titanic. He was also a professional tennis player.

To see another nice old Scott, go here:

http://www.joesalter.com/

And check out the first gun in the New Arrivals section.

I'm hoping to see a real nice 10g Scott Premier hammergun in a few weeks. I'll get some pics of it next to mine (a 12) to show the difference.

BTW: If you know of any 19th Century Scott Premiers on the market on the market, or of any other high-condition 19th century Scotts for sale, please let me know.

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oooo... nice! I have a pre-1874 10 bore hammer Scott (not quite a Premier) with the same trick forend latch.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's nice one at Salters I look for it to sit along time. Here's another nice Premier 10.

http://www.drake.net/products/W.--C.-Sco...n-1878?id=28590

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah - I don't think Salter has a clue to that gun's real value, so he just priced up too high. I doubt he could get $3500 for it. If it was a 12, maybe. But a heavy 10? I don't know.

Monty Whitley has had a couple of high condition Scott hammerguns on his site for a while. People simply aren't all that interested in them. If he buffed off the name and scratched Purdey on them. he could double their prices and sell them tomorrow.

I know where there's a 10g like Drakes for $4500. The gun is supposed to be 90%+ all original. I have to go check it out one of these days.

I hope to see that other 10g in the next few weeks.

I'm amazed by how many old Scotts I see and by how many of these are in excellent shape. Scott must have sold a TON of guns to the US market before the McKinley Tariff in 1890.

OWD

BTW: speaking of beautiful guns, did you guys see this one?

[/url]

Here's the listing for it.

http://rogerbain.com/catalog/product_inf...6f117f543b4a67f

That's the nicest Purdey I've seen in a while.

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 02/19/07 01:40 AM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, very nice! Enjoy your gun, Scott's are great guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice... I love Scott guns. Their Premiere grade guns were second to nobody in my opinion. I have a matched pair of Scott Premiere 12 bore hammerguns (with some elses name on them)that are the best guns in my safe...
Enjoy your gun!

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent gun! Thanks for posting the pics. Have fun with it, I know I would. Glad the gun wasn't on the Titanic with him.

I remember reading about a shipment of Holland & Holland guns going down on its way to India courtesy of a German U-Boat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD, Drifton, PA may not be on the map, but it's a little patch outside of Hazleton, smack in the middle of the "one shot" pigeon shooting region. No Hurlingham rules in that area. I shot my first flyers at a little club in Drifton when I was about 14 or 15 years old in 1961. My Dad was raised in the pigeon shooting tradition in Hazleton and after being gone from the area since 1936, somehow knew of the Drifton ring when it was time to break me into the sport. I am sure that your gun was part of that tradition in the late 1800s. The name shouldn't be hard to research. Each county in that area has a historical society and a courthouse full of records.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys.

Eightbore - I'm going to do some more research into the guy. He must have been a prominent figure in PA. I'm going to contact the PA historical society tis week and see what they can tell me.

CFW - any pics? I'd love to see them. Are they 12s?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD
I have a composed pair of Scott hammer guns in 12ga. They to are the best guns in the safe altough they are not Premiers. None the less they are fantastic guns and I enjoy them. I did shoot them at the Vintage Cup year before last when they had the flurry for hammer guns. I did not do well but had a a real good time. I decided that I am a much better loader than I am a shooter in that event.
Nice Premier 10 ga.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.