Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AWOLF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can someone tell what is the most common method of bluing a double barrel.I'm thInking about a project that has a loose top rib but still holding pretty firm. If I solder it it, I should reblue it. What is the most common method of bluing a german sxs ?. I don't have a lot in this project and don't want to turn it into a money pit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rust blue using one of the commercially available acid solutions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If its loose it needs to come off be cleaned and go Back on again IMHO.
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
If its loose it needs to come off be cleaned and go Back on again IMHO.
T

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

+2

Sidelock
Sidelock

How loose? 1/4 to 1 inch I would try to repair, not relay. With great care in polishing the area to be soldered instant blue can be used. If you are talking several inches of loose rib do the whole job, relay, rust blue.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

The decision as to how to properly repair the rib should also include the overrall value of the gun, is the German gun a high grade piece or something very basic? It might not be very cost effective in the long run to have the ribs stripped, cleaned, polished, relayed and the barrels reblacked. The repair bill could be more than the gun is worth. Most gunsmiths who are good at relaying ribs will not do just either the top or bottom rib, prefering to relay both. I've had a loose rib repaired by Gunter Pfrommer, it was the bottom rib and was loose about 1/2" from the muzzle. Gunter opted to just re-solder in place and reblack the barrels. He explained to me how he accomplished this, sounded pretty time consuming and delicate. Cost was around $350. Most strip and relays with new barrel finish is going to cost $1000 on the high end, $400 on the low end. Hope this helps.

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 02/14/12 02:00 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on Gunter. He repaired a set of barrels for me as well. Great work, fast turn around and well priced.

Sidelock
Sidelock

hello,
i do not have any mechanical or engineering knowledge re loose ribs but i do have many years experience around shotgun people and gunsmiths in the british trade.
i have always understood that a potential major fault
with a loose rib is the fact that rainwater or other undesirable
liquids may have seeped under the rib and possibly caused severe and dangerous unseen damage.
if i wished to use gun i would relay ribs rather than gamble with safety.
cheers
mrwmartin

NA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Somehow, I got the impression that Awolf was going to do the work himself. If so, no consideration of cost comes into the equation.

As to how complicated it is to patch a partially delaminated rib, my opinion is that simply resoldering a short area is a quick and easy fix when no contaminants or corrosion is eminating from the crack. Some flux and heat is all that is needed. Protecting the surrounding blue in the area is as simple as using a crayon like stick or brush on solution to prevent solder adhesion. I would always clamp/wire the ribs during this process.

Last edited by Chuck H; 02/14/12 04:43 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.