April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bob Jurewicz), 277 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The lath looks to heavy for a China import. I would put my money on a used industrial machine from the 50's.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it really makes a difference, why don't you call Kirk and ask him what the lathe is and why he uses it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kirk is great.

I have been pleased with everything he has done for me. He even fixed a balky Miller Single Trigger on an NID Trap gun. He asked that I NOT send him another to fix, as it is apparently a real pain in the butt. I promised I wouldnt buy another gun with one, so he didnt have to worry.

Regards

GKT.

Texas Declaration of Independence 1836 -The Indictment against the dictatorship, Para.16:"It has demanded us to deliver up our arms, which are essential to our defence, the rightful property of freemen, and formidable only to tyrannical governments."
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd dare anyone to tell the first Parker Kirk sleeved after he arrived here, the workmanship was that good and that was more than a few years ago now, meaning only that he has had a lot more practice since then and it was undetectable even then. He's a stand up guy and does some really beautiful work.

As far as lathes go, its just like Jon said, but another way of looking at it might be grades of the same gun. Some are fit, some are fit and polished. Back to lathes, its mostly a matter of what you wish to do with it and whether or not it can do the intended work. An old worn high quality lathe or a new less than tool room quality lathe can still do a lot of rough work, but you wouldn't wish to be making bullet dies with either, right? Even with a lathe for rough bbl. work final striking is done by draw filing w/a sharp mill cut file. I'm a lot more concerned about folks that know what a file card is and how to use it than I am about what kind of lathe is in the corner. [I don't mean that to sound 'smart', it is not intended that way.]

Trust Kirk to know what he's doing, I do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to add to the list of concerns over the way he does his work, when you call, ask about the big bottle of WD-40 on the bench. That product has caused more discussions of length than most any other when it comes to firearms. On second thought,, why not just enjoy the results of his craftsmanship & skills. He obviously knows what he's doing. (Nice pictures,,thanks!)

Sidelock
Sidelock

So what was the end of the WD-40 topic ? I use it never had any problems. Just would like to here of anybodys bad experience.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kutter
If you want to add to the list of concerns over the way he does his work, when you call, ask about the big bottle of WD-40 on the bench. That product has caused more discussions of length than most any other when it comes to firearms. On second thought,, why not just enjoy the results of his craftsmanship & skills. He obviously knows what he's doing. (Nice pictures,,thanks!)

Kutter-

You are welcome for the photographs, I had hoped that members of the forum would like to see them. I had no idea that my photographs would be so carefully examined!

Kirk and his wife are real nice folks and they don't just work on customer's guns, they work with the guns and the customers. He and his wife like to get to know the people they are working with and that is rare in this day and age.

The 16ga French gun he repaired for me was crude and of very little value compared to the guns he usually works on, and yet he treated me and the MAC with respect. He shared some wisdom with me along the way.

Given the value of this shotgun, I went into the decision of the repair with some reluctance, but folks here on the forum encouraged me to get the shotgun fixed and yesterday after a round of trap using only the right (repaired side), I am so happy I did! You all helped me realize that the value of a shotgun isn't always in the price one pays, it is in the return, and the return isn't always monetary.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Folks, in no way whatsoever did I intend to even raise a shadow of a doubt as to the quality of Mr. Merrington's work. Those of you who jumped in to defend his work are singing to the choir, his work needs no defense to me. I merely expressed surprise that a Central Machinery lathe, which is the very cheaply built Chinese brand sold by Harbor Freight, would appear in his shop. The picture looks just like the currently listed model in the Harbor Freight catalog. As I said, I have my own lathe, a heavy 12" x 36" much better than a Harbor Freight machine, as well as a small horizontal mill and assorted other tooling in my basement shop, and I am familiar enough with them to do an occasional Mauser barreling job or make an occasional part when required. I know Mr. Merrington's good reputation, he has done work for me, I am ONLY questioning the machine in the photo. OK????? I NEVER said he didn't "know what he's doing." Geeezze!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

dbadcraig,

Thanks for your informative post and pictures. I really appreciated what you had to say and your willingness to share your pictures.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.