May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Parabola, buckstix, 1 invisible), 157 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,079
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

jack rabbit - kind of you to say so. But these "my choice is better than your choice" debates go nowhere and help no one. People should be able to justify their own choices without putting down others. I haven't "declared the superiority of the O/U and the ST," just stated the facts of popular choice and competitive performance - yet that seems enough for some folks to man the barricades.

Clearly, my own preference for SxSs and STs depends on neither popularity nor performance, but simply personal choice. And that should be enough justification.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

(After opening the door, I stick an ear in and hear all of the commotion, then quietly turn and head back down the sidewalk.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Camphorated vitrol is an aquired taste, I suppose. The analogies are nice. Standard transmissions have gotten more expensive with less volume sold. That was what this was about I think or something to do with guns?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

If O/U's are superior and the choice of the people,
i.e., more in demand, shouldn't they be MORE expensive
than SxS's?

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC - This would be so except that economies of scale in meeting the greater demand significantly reduce the cost per unit of O/U production, and competition among producers limits how much they can charge.

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 02/18/07 03:40 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I rather doubt that someone moving "up" from a cheap single or pump to a double is attracted to OU's based on what world champion shooters shoot, any more than I worry about who drives what in NASCAR when I go to the local dealer to buy a vehicle. My guess is, said individual walks into a well-stocked gun store. He sees a whole bunch of OU's, guns he recognizes from the range and/or from magazine ads perhaps, with names he recognizes (Browning, Beretta, Ruger), at around the $1,000 price range, give or take a few hundred. Sxs . . . he may see some very cheap ones, less than the price of a really good pump; and he may see some priced at 2x or more what he would pay for an OU. Plus, with an OU, he'll almost certainly get screw-in chokes. Far less certain with a sxs. Plus, with an OU, he's going to get a single trigger--which he's also used to. Far less certain with a sxs. So, his brain tells him--unless he's been hanging around doublegunshop.com, reading Double Gun Journal or maybe Shooting Sportsman, where he would learn more about sxs--that OU is obviously the gun for me! Plus, if he hangs around the range much (unless it's an unusual club, like one where I hang out and we occasionally have an entire skeet squad armed with sxs), he will have seen lots of OU's, likely very few sxs. He's likely had the chance to handle some of those OU's, perhaps even having shot a friend's Beretta or Browning. So price, familiarity, what he perceives as preferred "options" (ST and choke tubes) . . . why on earth wouldn't he pick an OU?

Popular choice is quite obvious. Facts of performance . . . the vast majority of sxs are field guns, not competition guns. It's darned hard to prove "competitive advantage" in a field situation. I can determine, for example, that the DT gives me a definite advantage over the ST, because I know that every season, I kill birds by instantly selecting the tighter choke--which I could not do with a ST. Whether someone else sees that as an advantage (and there's at least one person here who doesn't) . . . well, that's a matter only each individual can decide.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charlie, sorry, I was just being glib (as in:
glib[adj] marked by lack of intellectual depth; "glib generalizations"; "a glib response to a complex question")

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC - Regrets about my weak glibbiness detector!

Why are O/U's less expensive then SxS's... blame John M. Browning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That darn John M. He not only invented more guns and mechanisms than anyone, the ones he didn't invent he messed up. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.