April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jem Finch, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 1,120 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

And people say that automatic transmissions are an improvement over the stick shift . . . until they try to pop the clutch on an automatic, to start the car. Popularity does not = superiority.

Probably true in Iowa, Larry. Most places nowadays, we have starter motors in our vehicles.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gosh, Jack . . . most cars do have starter motors. And batteries too! And popping the clutch still works, in a pinch, when either one of those doesn't work. Sorta like how you can still shoot with a DT gun, should you get a late flushing bird before you've reloaded the first barrel. But I know you never face such situations in Minnesota--never cold enough to cause battery problems, not enough birds to result in multiple flushes.

Oh yeah, I remember clutch-pop starting, back in my college days when I could only afford to drive junkers. I suppose DTs are the same for SxSs - useful if you have gear that tends to break down. But now that I know about your affection for clutch-pop starting, I can more easily understand your preference for DTs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, you forget that I've seen you shoot a sxs. And from those observations, I'd say that if the combination of an OU and a ST help you hit more targets (or birds), then that's certainly what I'd recommend!

Ah well, Larry, I have never pretended to be a good shot. But you forget that I have hunted with you. I will politely refrain from comment. These little pi$$ing contests don't reflect well on either of us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pi$$ing? Heck, I'm just trying to offer helpful advice to a fellow shotgunner . . . and since you've declared the superiority of the OU and the ST to the sxs and the DT, seems that if you were to use anything else, you'd be contradicting your own declaration . . . n'est-ce pas?

Why are O/U's more popular than SXS's?, IMO (based on people i know that shoot O/U's) MOST people cut their teeth on cheap single shots, pumps and auto's. When they get serious and want a gun that can have two chokes in play at the same time, an O/U presents the same picture that a Single barrel gun does and therefore offers familiarity. Looking down a SXS is a whole different animal and require getting used to. I've been told this many times when I ask people shooting O/U's why they chose it over a sxs. I believe this to be true because I've shot nothing but SXS's and to pick up a shotgun with just one barrel looks and feels un-natural to me. For whoever it was that discounted the value of tradition, asthetics, romance etc, and place the only "real" value on cold efficiancy, that's fine. However, I gotta say, I feel sorry for those types for there is SO MUCH that life has to offer that is lost on them. The old adage "it's not winning that counts, it's HOW you play the game" comes to mind.

Cody

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic

Originally Posted By: Cody
Why are O/U's more popular than SXS's?, IMO (based on people i know that shoot O/U's) MOST people cut their teeth on cheap single shots, pumps and auto's. When they get serious and want a gun that can have two chokes in play at the same time, an O/U presents the same picture that a Single barrel gun does and therefore offers familiarity.

I cut my teeth on cheap single shots, and I suspect most others here did the same. So I think "familiarity" has less to do with O/U popularity than the fact O/Us offer more gun for the money, and that most world-class shooters are using them.

People choose SxSs for reasons other than efficiency or cost, which is okay too - they don't need lame excuses to justify their choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack and Larry:

Your "pi$$ing match" should be archived. I don't think you can copyright this old schtick but you do it in the great tradition of smooth, seamless and grammatical. Makes me miss Jack Benny.

jack

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.