April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 384 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,088
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering a new Ugartechea, and while I prefer CCH I am concerned it wouldn't hold up for long on a gun that is used a lot (sporting clays, hunting). Am I correct to assume a coin finish will not change appearance with use, but the CCH will fade?

Thanks,
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the Uggie boxlocks I've seen were either CCH or nickel plated. That warm yellowish silver is the indicator.

If what you are comparing is indeed nickel plating vs. CCH, the nickel plating will be essentially a permanent surface. It can wear thru, but it would be much more, many times more, durable than CCH

If it's what I think of as a traditional coin finish of casehardened steel, polished to the desired shine, then it will be very durable, but it can change by abrasion and acids/salts from your hands, but it will be very durable surface

Hoof Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at the grade IV, or 257. Both list CCH or "coin finish." I don't know what their definition of that may be?
Thanks,
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think their sidelocks have the traditional coin finish, not nickel like the boxlocks. At least the pix I've seen of them appear to be bare hardened steel polished up. It should be very durable, but cleaning and wiping down with oil after a day out should be done to prevent any long term etching and graying from your hand acids.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All surface finishes wil wear or discolour. A lot will depend on what they are lacquered with . Old fasioned gun lock varnish will wear so needs to be re done reglarly . I know form experience that the St Ledgers currently use a lacquer the you virtualy need an angle grinder to shift.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, Spanish CC are not bone and charcoal. The colors are chemical and do wear off, much depends on the acid your hands produce as to the speed of the wear. But it will wear off.

As most you you know, a coin finish is a term that can mean anything from polished metal to French Grey, depending on who is the maker and how they term it.

To me, I like a coin finish, much more durable, shows off any engraving better and always looks good. CC to me when they start to wear/age looks dirty and dingy.

I do have a couple CC guns and treat them with a lacquer. Here's a link discussing CC protection:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251881&page=1

Best of luck to you!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree with Greg.....the prettiest case colored guns are those that have had it worn off. The soft grey that is left is a much prettier platform for displaying the engraving that the mottled colors of CC.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

This may be misinformation, so please correct me if you're a metallurgist.

I thought CCH finish was the most durable structurally and perhaps 99% of the hardening remains long after the color from the bone and charcoal has faded away.

Is this true? That CH is still there, even after the color has left the case?

I love 30% CCH with its nice blue grey if we are talking aesthetics.

Last edited by Rookhawk; 01/22/12 08:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless you are 19 years old and are handling your gun with shooting gloves made from sweat soaked Scotchbrite, you probably won't appreciably wear off the case colors in your lifetime.

I say if CCH is the receiver finish you prefer, go with that, lacquer it for protection, take reasonable care of it, and enjoy it. It may show some wear when you are 90 years old. Chances are, you will too.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,
Respectfully, I disagree. I think the avid hunter that is more interested in hunting than babying a gun can wear thru case colors in short order. Especially if he is in the habit of carrying the gun by the reciever. Can he wear them off all over the gun? Probably not in his lifetime of hunting and cleaning. But he can surely silver the bellie of a gun. I've done it in less than 10 yrs. I also think that not all case color oxides are created equally.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting, down here in Spain, shooting in summer at 40 deg C, over a 100F, you sweat, my Perazzi is I suppose a french grey finish and the sweat from my hands has caused small corrosion around the safety, my case colour hardened AYA´s have not. best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll agree with Chuch that not all CCH is created equal, and some does seem to wear better than others. Mike's AyA's are a case in point. One gun I own, my meat rifle... a flintlock muzzleloader, has taken almost 30 years of perspiration, sunlight, rain, snow, black powder residue, boiling water and scrub-brush cleanings (sometimes several days after shooting...shame on me), and it still has very vibrant case colors with only a hint of wear. I've definitely carried it more miles than any firearm I own. I have not taken any unusual precautions such as lacquering. That's why I'll stick to my guns and advise Hoof to go with his preferred action finish, maybe use the lacquer and try to avoid abusing it without getting anal about it. I really don't carry my guns with a sweaty paw wrapped around the receiver very often. Like Rookhawk said, a casehardened gun with some honest wear has a certain appeal too. In answer to his question about CCH, it all remains after the color is gone. Only annealing or physically removing the thin carburized surfaced, colored or not, will make it go away.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should add that the AYA´s were case coloured by St Ledger in Birmingham, UK, best

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.