April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (buckstix), 426 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is truly amazing that such cosmically trivial things as mandatory seat belts, speed limits, blaze orange and motorcycle helmets are considered horrendous violations of personal sovereignty and examples of governmental abusive intrusion.

What small lives we live!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lucky1
Ff
When you are laying out there bleeding to death I'm sure knowing that the shooter will be prosecuted for "criminal negligence" will give you a lot of comfort!
I wear it because I want to, not that I have to.

That's the point I'm making, there are way too many people out there hunting that shouldn't be. So we have to have it legislated that we need to wear blaze orange so the slob hunters don't mistake a human being for a 12 point buck.

In fact, last I checked there were still people being shot "accidentally" even though they were wearing blaze orange. Maybe hunting in general is just too dangerous even with people wearing BO. We should pass some laws to outlaw hunting, because isn't even one hunting death too many?

The point is, it is irrelevant what color we are required to wear. Education of young hunter's by hunting ed teachers and especially parents is the only thing that is going to reduce and eliminate hunting related shootings.

And I stand by my statement that if you are shooting at a spot that you wouldn't be able to tell if a person was there, unless they were wearing blaze orange, it is not a shot you should be taking in the first place. If people we being rightfully prosecuted for negligent hunting shootings, maybe the next moron would think twice before unloading his SKS rifle magazine at a deer running though a popple stand and shoot someone who is wearing blaze orange.

I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ff
I agree with most of your statements, but I don't think those of us that wear blaze orange by choice should be condemned for doing it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Originally Posted By: Flintfan
Originally Posted By: Bouvier
If you want to see UGLY .... take a look at humans that have been shot to death, now that's UGLY!

Al

Then my advice is to not shoot anyone. Hunting "accidents" need to start being prosecuted for what they are, criminal negligence. Blaze orange is completely unnecessary since no one should ever pull the trigger without knowing what is in front of their gun. If the cover is too thick that you cannot know if another person is standing in it regardless of what they are wearing, the shot should not be taken.

Well said!!

I am sure you will derive adequate satisfaction if your 18 year-old son is shot (not wearing orange) by a despicable negligent hunter and you sue the crap (or have prosecuted) out of the hunter who didn't obey your rules.

Yep, that's the way to deal with problems.

Always blame the other guy or society because they don't behave the way YOU want them to.

It always seems to be someone else's fault.

And you seem to think that wearing blaze orange is a bullet proof vest. If someone shoots wildly and hits another hunter, it is their fault, and they are acting outside the standards set by society. There is something called personal responsibility, that goes along with the privilege of hunting. And yes, people have to live up to those responsibilities if we are continued to be "allowed" to hunt.

Not everyone will follow the rules set to protect people from harm. And people wearing blaze orange will continue to be shot during hunting seasons. If you are not willing to educate people that the only way hunting shootings will be eliminated is by education of proper hunting ethics/techniques, you are the one passing the buck. Apparently you have no problem with people hunting in a dangerous manner. As long as you wear blaze orange your job is done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lucky1
Ff
I agree with most of your statements, but I don't think those of us that wear blaze orange by choice should be condemned for doing it.

I in no way want to condemn the wearing of blaze orange if someone wishes to do so, I hope that is not the message I am putting across. My problem is the belief that wearing BO is a silver bullet to eliminate hunting related shootings. Education of proper hunting methods is far more effective in regards to hunter safety, than whatever we choose to wear. I hope we can all agree on that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, not all can agree on that, Flintfan. Education is important but too often a crutch in my thinking. It's part of the answer. Why did the Great Recession cause less misery to Canada than any country of the G20?

It wasn't because Canadians are smarter than others. It was because of regulations. Banks weren't permitted carte blanche to do as they pleased. Education, supported by laws made in legislatures as will of the people, is the way to go.

That seems to be the way with blaze orange.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hardly care one way or another about blaze orange. I am only agreeing with other posters that the color offends. I am quite certain that if my bathroom was painted blaze orange I would never again have a happy bowel movement.

My second post came after viewing a construction project outside my window. The customary blaze orange signs and barricades are erected everywhere. After taking in the scene I believe blaze orange is an acutely offensive hue. One wants to back away from it.

Im not concerned that I will be accidentally shot for lack of orange. The law does not require me to wear orange. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. I am sorry some find that unacceptable. I dont care what you do.

Oh, and somebody raised the topic of my self-indulgence. I guess Im less social than some of you. Good internet diagnosis. Honestly though, choosing my own clothing color isnt a very satisfying, as far as self-indulgence goes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very good post, Ryan. I totally agree.

Sometimes I wear a BO cap if I like the logo on it, and I wear BO when It's required by law, not someone else's opinion.

I don't know how we were ever able to keep from shooting each other by not wearing it in over 55+ years of hunting!.

In Colorado, it is required by law when Big Game Hunting. I was hunting there and wearing the required amount of BO. I was setting by a log watching an area that was likely to have game pass through. I spotted two hunters wearing BO about 250 or 300 years away. Looked at them through my binoculars and watched as one of them looked at me through his rifle scope! If I had not been wearing BO, he would have never known I was there.

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree hunter education is essential. In fact I teach 500 +/- students each year. My team pounds gun handling safety every class, and we are ruthless about reinforcing that during the field day exercises. But we also teach them the benefits of hunter orange, along with tree stand safety which is now the major killer of hunters by far. We don't tell them not to use tree stands, but the safest techniques along with the realities. As for those who should happen to get shot while not wearing hunter orange, I think a good case could be made you were negligent in not following the best practices and you owe me damages for subjecting me to all the horror such an experience entails.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wear a blaze orange hat while bird hunting as a considerate act toward my hunting companions. I would like them to be able to know exactly where I am and never have to check their swing or not take a shot because I might be 'over there' somewhere and be not quite as visible as to make for a comfortable shooting situation.

On the other hand - If a person is shot in the pursuit of big game because that person was mistaken for game the shooter must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. He will suffer enough by the fact that his carelessness caused the death or maiming of a fellow hunter or worse, an innocent bystander but so what!?! His intent was to "kill" something and the fact that it turned out to be another human being doesn't lessen the motive of "to kill". Shouldn't we all be absolutely positive of our target before we squeeze that trigger? "It looked like a.." or "I thought it was a.." or "It sounded like a.." just doesn't cut it! Again and again every year hunters are a laughing stock because we shoot people in "hunting accidents". These are not accidents at all but are horrible incidents of negligence. Blaze orange or hunter orange might help hunters not to get shot but the lady hanging out her wash in a brown jacket and white mittens shouldn't be required to protect her own life with bright clothing... IT IS NOT HER RESPONSIBILITY !!

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.