May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Hal, Roundsworth, LGF, 2 invisible), 156 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,543
Posts546,073
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DRM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Maybe it's just what I am noticing, but it appears that SXS's are usually much more expensive than O/U', even by the same maker. Since they are both doubles, with what I think are similar design requirements and manufacturing challenges, why is this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Because they are not even close in sales volume.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Jim said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. Kinda makes ya go huh? Thus the RBL. Anyone want in this game? Also, makes ya wonder if the O/U is a better idea? Shudder!!
Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

SxS's are better looking, handle better, have a better sighting plane and were made for wingshooting besides all the good points...the manufacturers know that people that shoot SxS's will pay more for a gun than those e'flicted people that like O/U's.

When you talk about SxS's being more expensive....will that statement hold up when you are talking about high grade English O/U guns such as Boss and Purdy ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe one would not have to look too hard to find some Italian O/U guns which are rather pricey. But the premis is I think accurate that even those manufacturers have sxs that are more expensive. I will note that in my small shooting circle/life that the really top shooters always shot O/Us. Sorry for the blasphemy. Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

From the manufacturing point of view, the costs of making an O/U and a SbS are the same (all other things being equal). Of course, a classic Anson-Deeley with colour case hardening and lots of hand fitting might be loo expensive to produce now? but the world is full of great SbS designs, that are as easy to turn on a machine as anything. Prior to the WW2, O/Us like Superposed, Rem. 31, Merkel, cost twice or more as much as SbSs of similar quality.

So it's all, as suggested above, about the sales volumes - but the sales volumes are, in turn, a by-product of certain myths shared by gun manufactureres and the general public. Myth #1 is that a SbS has to be expensive to be good. Than't why gun manufacturers believe that an attempt to mass-marlet a SbS at mass-market price is a guaranteed flop. And they are right - because the customers aren't going to believe such a gun will be any good. How many of you reading this are ready to assume that a Spartan 210 may actually be worth its price tag?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A British gun will cost more in o/u form than in SxS form. the difference at Purdey is around £25,000.

Traditionally, a hand-built o/u is a longer, harder job: one reason why so few made it here. Even Holland's had to scrap their original o/u because despite being by far the most expensive gun on the market, they still sold it for less than it cost to make!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your thinking too Victorian/Edwardian!
Our British shooting lad today, would have a pair of McKay Browns made-up for him. A 75-100 year old Purdey sxs might still be within our reach, but a new Purdey o/u!
They're for the real moneyed, and not us rustic players.

Last edited by Lowell Glenthorne; 02/15/07 07:48 AM.
DRM Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great news....once again my taste leads me to fall in love and choose the most expensive thing I could among relatively comparable alternatives.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.