April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, Gerry Addison, David Williamson, AGS, eightbore, 1 invisible), 460 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, the selling of an out of proof gun would be a tort, even though both parties agreed upon the sale? Who would be the plaintiff in this court action, and how would they have standing?

I'm fine with the proof house in existence in England, or wherever else it has been in effect since we were a colony. That's not the issue here, as you'll discover if you read the title of this thread. You guys also drive on the wrong side of the highway, unlike most of the civilized world. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it would work for us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene, the driving on the left side goes back to the days of knights etc. You wanted the guy you were passing to be on your right side, so your sword arm was free to take action if necessary. Guess they didn't worry about left eye dominant people with swords, although I don't know whether natural lefties were all trained to fight right handed. smile

If we buy handguns or any other kind of gun from a dealer, we have those 4473's--which the govt says they don't retain, but which dealers are required to retain. So it's not like there's not a record out there, somewhere, on most gun transfers in this country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well someone would have to complain or else none would be the wiser. It's just a form of customer protection. Yes, it does work for us and maybe it would work for you in some form or another.

Australia, New Zealand and Japan drive on the same side! Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

We already have a similar organization - Underwriter's Labs - that examines electrical appliances and apparatus and if everything is grounded properly etc it receives an "UL Seal of Approval"

It is entirely private.

A domestic proof house that is a "real" proof house (not just some shade-tree smith that puts a few hot loads thru a gun) would serve a useful function - I can envision buying a good older shotgun with the sale contingent upon the gun passing proof. The seller could refuse, of course.

There are a lot of lengthened 2 1/2-inch chambers on some fine English guns and it would be much easier to send them to a domestic proof house than back to Birmingham or London.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Gene, the driving on the left side goes back to the days of knights etc. You wanted the guy you were passing to be on your right side, so your sword arm was free to take action if necessary. Guess they didn't worry about left eye dominant people with swords, although I don't know whether natural lefties were all trained to fight right handed.

Forsooth, nay. The French had as many knights as England, as did Spain, etc., and they all drive on the proper side of the road. At any rate, knights jousting pass left side (shield side) to shield side. The English drive perversely because it's part of their eccentricity.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene, the fact that the jousters are toting lances might have something to do with passing left to left. Otherwise, unruly horse might cause you to skewer your opponent before the "laissez les aller!" signal has been given. And the French didn't have as many knights as England after the English archers got done with them . . . smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's why we kept beating them! Lagopus.....

Even the world's largest democracy; that's India, drive on the left. http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/driving%20on%20the%20left.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

The English drive on the right side of the road, that is, The Left.
Americans drive on the Right side of the road because it is something else that they got wrong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, we're just in the process of catching up with you Brits. We're starting to build roundabouts! Only problem is, because the only place I ever encountered them previously was in England, I have a tendency to turn left rather than right. I always figured roundabouts were just the British getting even with American tourist drivers, because we kicked you chaps out back in the 18th century.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Salopian, we're just in the process of catching up with you Brits. We're starting to build roundabouts! Only problem is, because the only place I ever encountered them previously was in England, I have a tendency to turn left rather than right...

laugh laugh

If I remember correctly we used to have them - they were called "traffic circles" and they were largely gotten rid of in the late 40s and early 50s to help speed up traffic.

I think we do go around roundabouts anti-clockwise (left)

Page 21 of 30 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.