May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,136 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Happy New Year, all.

I went to dinner at a cousin's last week and he showed me a shotgun that had been his grandfather's, but is new to him, as it has been in the possession of an uncle for decades.

It's a 16-gauge Montgomery Wards "Western Field Deluxe" with 28-in. barrels that looked mod and full. I liked it a lot ... still tight and unmessed with, but with the carry wear you'd expect from a Depression-era field gun. It has the characteristics of what I call a "high-end hardware store gun," and I wanted to figure out who actually built it, but none of the other markings meant anything to me.

However, it really reminded me of a Lefever Nitro Special, but I can't find much evidence that Ithaca built side-by-sides for Montgomery Wards. The Blue Book suggests Savage or Stevens, but it just doesn't look like one of those to me. Can anyone help me figure out if this gun could have been built in Ithaca?

Thanks in advance. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

They did. Post its sn and I will look it up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes they did. I have one in 12 gauge. Fellow that sold it to me also thought it was a Stevens but it is a Nitro Special.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand some of the inner parts are interchangeable between the Western Arms Long Range receiver (Westernfield Deluxe) and the Nitro Special.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think some of the Montgomery Ward guns were made by Stevens. I have a 32" barreled Western Field New Leader that looks for all the world like a Stevens. Bears no resemblance to Ithaca at all.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two-triggers: It is a Nitro Special or a Western Long Range. If the stock is checkered it's a N.S. I have a 20 bore N.S. marked M&W Western Field. Mine was made 10 years before I was born: 1926. The best of the "hardware store" guns. Mine is in excellent shape. I wish it could talk and tell me of it's life. Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I think some of the Montgomery Ward guns were made by Stevens. I have a 32" barreled Western Field New Leader that looks for all the world like a Stevens. Bears no resemblance to Ithaca at all.

SRH

I think a greater percentage of the Westernfield guns were made by Stevens. The Nitro Special version is the exception rather than the rule.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Western Arms Ithaca branch made the Long Range for Wards called the Deluxe; it had checkered wrist and forearm and ivory beads; all standard. Extras on that gun were single trigger and ejectors. The standard Western Arms Long Range had none of those.

Last edited by 2holer; 01/02/12 01:02 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guess we should all long for the days when Sears and Wards sold guns! Sorting out who made what for them, since they used their own brand names ("Ranger" from Sears was more or less the equivalent of Ward's "Western Field). Most of the Sears Rangers were Stevens guns, but it's not at all unusual to find a Hunter Fulton marked Ranger. Also Marlin 90's. And there were some very late Western Fields that were Miroku-made, similar to the Charles Dalys.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the information, guys. Sounds like my Nitro Special guess was a good one.

Walt, I will get you the SN when I can, and appreciate that help.

Going from memory, the gun definitely has double triggers, a checkered stock and double ivory beads. Haven't measured the chokes or chambers (probably short?), but the bores are in real nice shape. I'm thinking it does not have ejectors. There's a decaying pad (factory?) with a well-known brand name I can't recall. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

My book says Western Arms made a few of the comparable Western Field Deluxes under their own name, so that must be one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Top pic is of my Westernfield and bottom is of my Nitro Special.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nitro Specials had N.S heading the grade column, M.W. heading for those for Montgomery-Ward, but what is the U.S.F. grade? I have an original drawing for the roll stamp for the U.S.F. mark so they were marked that way. Any ideas?
Nitro Special

M-W

and U.S.F.

Ithaca Western Arms model was also sold to M-W

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 01/02/12 02:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the Westernfield Deluxe without the single trigger or ejectors. It is billed as Ithaca Western Arms, but when you scroll down you will see Western Field Deluxe on the left barrel; W on lump and Belgian barrels.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=264899384

Last edited by 2holer; 01/02/12 03:50 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.