March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, LeFusil, SKB, RWG, Ken Nelson), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#258208 12/28/11 05:40 PM
JasonC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all, new user here, the guys over at gunboards told me to check in here. Over Christmas I inherited a nice Beretta 427E SxS from my grandfather who had received it from my grandmothers uncle. Am trying to figure out how to read the stampings to get an actual manufacture date on the shotgun. From what I can find the 427 sereis was only available in Europe and not imported to the States. Have the paperwork showing that my Great-Uncle bought it while on a trip to Rome. Am also trying to find any type of owners manual for it and yes, the dreaded "how much is it worth" question so I can add it to my insurance with my rifles. Any info on this shotgun would be appreciated. Also, i have not shot many shotguns, but I LIKE IT! Wow this gun is awsome!
Jason

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason,
There should be some roman numerals stamped on the barrel flats, those are the date codes for when your gun was made. The numbers start with I for 1945, the year the war ended, and progress one at a time.II=1946,III=1947, ect. In 1974 they stopped the roman numerals with XXX.1975 =AA,76=AB,etc. If you send me the number or letter stamps, I will tell you when the gun was made. If you send me your email and a request, I'll mail you a copy of the date code sheet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

And are the barrels stamped with a series of asterisks (*** etc.)? If you tell us how many are on which barrel flat, we can tell you what chokes the barrels have. There is usually a source for the barrels given too, sometimes a maker like "Flusstahl Krupp" in Italian or German or sometimes a code which some posters here can decode to let you know if the barrels were made in Italy or sourced from Germany, Austria, or Belgium, as some were.

Often the chamber length is expressed in millimeters on the barrel flats, usually the guage over the length such as 12/70 or 12/75,often in an oval or circle. That will tell you if it is a standard or a magnum chambered 12.

Hang onto that paperwork, it may not be especially valuable, but it sure is interesting to have.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jason,

Welcome. The 427E has hand-engraved side plates for the breech block that were made to order. It would not be possible to guess at a value without pictures.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The last 427E 12ga I saw sold was $2800. That was a 3 years ago from Champlin Arms. The 427E is the highest level of the 424, 425,and 426 series. I have only seen 2 in the last ten years on the web so I would say there are few available.(JMO) They are modern enough to be coil springs and all Beretta in house manufacturing. It will probably be around for the next generation.
Best,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're a couple up on me, Ron. I don't recall ever having seen a 427, but it's a safe bet it's a darned nice gun. And some sentimental value there too, having been initially purchased by someone in the family.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
If you ever get over to Champlin Arms George keeps prior sale pictures and info on his computer. They are a fine looking gun. If I had the coin at the time I would have purchased it myself.
Best,
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it just like this one Jason...looks nice
shoot in good health
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 12/29/11 11:22 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the 427E the sideplate version of the model 410E? I have a scroll back 410E with the same silver pigeon in flight on the top lever and very similar hand engraving...Geo

JasonC Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

birdunter56, I sent you a PM with e-mail address. Fellas, thank for all the replies, I will see if I can get a couple photos of it put up this afternoon or evening, the hand ingraving is really nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.