March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jeremy Pearce, ksauers1, Lloyd3, jcn, canvasback), 869 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Print Thread
Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a hammer combination gun in 16 gauge and a 44-caliber rifle barrel. The man who sold it to me did a chamber cast and made up 50 cases starting with an 8mm Remington Magnum case. He loads it with black powder and .430 cast bullets made for a .44 magnum. He couldn't find the ammo today, but I wanted to post the old gun anyway. The shotgun barrel is damascus while the rifle barrel is fluid steel. I don't want to develop a 16 gauge black powder load, so I'm thinking about a liner. Would the chamber mate 16 to 28 gauge be sufficiently strong so as not to consider the 16 gauge barrel's strength? How about a Briley liner? There are proof mark symbols on the barrels, but no writing at all. Any suggestions as to the original caliber? Here are some photos and a link to the album.

http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/Vol423/Hammer%20Combination%20Gun/

Last edited by Vol423; 01/12/12 10:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

More that likely it is some 11mm variant. Mike Ford of Alabama has a great deal of experience with these. You should be fine with lower pressure loads from either RST or Polywad. I shoot these all the time, although a purist would say it has to black powder. Peter Oberhammer was a whale of an inventor, had a son named Ludwig who worked a stint at Miller & Val. Greiß in the mid 1880s. That's probably his patented sight. Any length dim on the cartridges. Neat side-frame reinforcement.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Recently I've been working on a similar load on a Gotz hammer cape for hunting buddy. Ford is always most helpful and may have penned an article or 2 in a GGCA publication. Also I think the firm P.(Peter) Oberhammer is still in business, maybe in Köln. It appears to have Austrian type features and interesting how the locks do not interface with the frame.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I value my body parts too much to shoot light smokeless, and don't want the bother of loading black powder shotgun shells. I did look up chamber mates and Briley inserts. I can get either to work with 28 gauge ammo, and the 28 gauge will probably be on par with light 16GA loads anyway. The rifling in the bottom barrel is in unbelievably good condition. The previous owner has a 1-1/4" 3-shot group he fired at 50 yards. I might explore Trail Boss loads for the rifle, once he finds the ammo. The cross pin to retain the fore end definitely evolved from muzzleloader styling. The small proof mark on the shotgun barrel just above the fore end is duplicated on the rifle barrel underneath.

Last edited by Vol423; 12/11/11 12:59 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is possible that both tubes have the Eagle "Crown" over "S" but I would guess that the solid projectile/rifled tube has a Eagle "Crown" over "G". That notes the tube has experienced a test of a triple powder charge based on the service load and a doubled load based on the service load. Pattern welded tubes are not the demons as found in hearsay. Obstructions are typically the culprits and I'd say the probability of having in an obstruction with a production cartridge in a pattern welded tube isn't any greater than that of a fluid steel tube. Blow the tubes after firing and pay attention to the sound of each ignition.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter Oberhammer seems to have heavily sourced the mechanics around the Zella-Mehlis area:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Oberhammers left central Munich years ago. When I last visited their shop about 5 years ago, it was in Pasing, a western suburb of Munich. The nowadays Oberhammers are a country sport shop, seling guns more as a sideline to fishing tackle, outdoor clothing, knives and so on, a typical German country gunshop. They know little about the past more glorious history of their family company, because their old establishment was bombed out in WW2, all old files lost. And, they seem to be not very interested in the past.
BTW, such locks are called "island locks" in Britain. You sometimes see them on old hammer Purdeys.

Vol423 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The seller finally found the ammo. In addition to 50 rifle cases, he gave me 25 or 30 2.5 inch 16GA shells loaded with black powder. The cases measure almost exactly 55mm long; otherwise they are the dimensions of the .43 Mauser, the 11.15X60 cartridge. Below are a few photos of the cartridges. He did a chamber cast, then made the ammo from 8mm Remington Magnum brass. The cases were shortened and the belts turned off, then a layer of sheet brass was silver soldered on for rims. The cases were turned to dimension in a lathe. Finally .43 Mauser dies were used to load the cases. The powder charge was a case almost full of black powder, compressed by the bullet. I haven't fired it yet, but he showed me a very small group he fired with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.