May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (skeettx, LGF, Hammergun, Southern Sport), 964 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,850
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 25 of 35 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 34 35
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very well said!

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Here's the main point: ALL guns are incredibly dangerous and safety must be given top priority. "Out of sight, out of mind" seems to be fairly common with hunters. All guns have hammers--exposed or hidden--that need little urging to do their job. With an exposed hammer gun the risk of a misadventure is constantly being impressed on the shooter. I mean, those huge hammers stretching over the firing pins is a constant reminder that the utmost attention need be given. With a "hammerless" gun that threat is concealed and easily ignored or delayed. I think if really reviewed most of us shooting hammerless guns have at one time or another forgotten that we had slid the safety off and forgotten it for a time. Nothing could be more dangerous. Hammer guns do not allow this slip to pass without notice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, for inspiration did you have a stout cup of coffee this a.m. with a double dollop of Kickapoo Joy Juice, adult version, to wake to the flavour??? Again, well stated.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
A hammergun is just an affectation for me.

For me, the hammergun is more of an affection.

I love all they represent - from the golden age of England to the craftsmanship to a time that was slower and more genteel.

I don't hunt to put food on my table, but to commune with nature and test my skills when that dog points and the bird flushes.

One day last week, we flushed three bird the whole day and not one went down. The next day, we flushed over a dozen, and there's meat in the freezer because of it. Both were great days in my opinion.

I maintain they are as safe, if not moreso, than guns with internal hammers. I also maintain they're as fast "on the draw" as a single-trigger internal hammered gun with some practice.

Having said all that, my guns are not investments, but cherished momentos of a bygone era and I love 'em just as I would an ugly dog - maybe even more. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammergun, I agree with everything you just said. I have 3 sxs hammerguns and use them. However when I do use them I always end up wishing I had one of the hammerless models when the action on a dove shoot warms up...Geo

P.S.: lets get back to pictures, we all have our prefenences and prejudices on gun style...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sorta partial to this one. My little 16 gauge Lindner Daly two years ago. (The feather in the trigger guard was not intended.)

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Daly is beautimous!! Whenever I find one similar to it for sale, it's priced like a new automobile. I'm still looking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief, you're right. I just sorta fell into this one. It had a few problems that knocked the price down enough. And the talents of Mike Orlen and David Yale put her right without breaking the bank. She's a good'un. Not many 16's show up.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, Beautiful gun. What did you have done to the gun? (How's your foot? Sorry to hear of your injury.)
Gil

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Mr. Dillon, Mr. Dillon = Gunsmoke smile

Beautiful gun, you always have winners

Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, the little Lindner Daly lacked a buttplate, just raw wood but fortunately it hadn't been cut and the edges were still sharp. Kathy Yale made a beautiful leather pad for it. Then, the horn tip on the grip cap had come loose sometime in the past and had been crudely glued back on backwards. And there was small wood chips around it. David Yale was able to remove the horn cap, repair the chipped wood and replace the cap. It takes a magnifying glass to detect the repairs now. Worst of all were the bores. Some idiot had "honed" them to remove evidence of dents. Main problem was they had stopped the hone about 5" short of the muzzle and I had questions if the barrels could be restored. But Mike Orlen worked his magic and they are now perfect with properly shaped chokes. Wall thickness remains very good. I have no idea how he was able to do it but my hat is off to him. The only remaining repair is it's slightly off face but I have a shim in the hook that has made it a perfect fit. When the shim eventually pops loosed I think I'll have Ken Eversol make the permanent repair. Seems I always put more money into a gun than it'd bring but I just write that off to my fun account. To heck with it--I want it right. Overall, the gun is in incredibly high condition so I'm very pleased with it.

My foot? Well, I made it 70 years without breaking anything but did a number this time. Yesterday, x-rays showed a lateral break of the fibia in the ankle so I'm pretty well stove up for the winter. Foot is swollen like a rattlesnake bite and black 'n blue end to end. Got one of those boots on rather than a cast. Oh well, could'a been a lot worse. Doctor wasn't happy with me that I drove seven hours home with a broken foot (as though I had a choice).

Page 25 of 35 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.