Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30
Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz:

In the real world Buzz, you JUST CANNOT protect all the people all the time........especially at the cost of the entire shooting public, as in this case.......once you open Pandora's box bad things grow out of control.......

Some People will ALWAYS shoot the wrong ammunition in guns, shoot guns with plugged bores and so forth......just the way it is........some are cautious, some are not....some are intelligent, some are not.........

We don't need big brother to govern everything, it's bad enough already.......

Sorry, we cannot legislate against stupidity, it's been tried......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz

....But, the reality is there are UNSAFE guns out there. I am not worried about you or me or many others of this forum. We understand guns and know things (eg, barrel wall thickness less than .020 " is NOT terribly safe) that other more ignorant people don't know....

The reality is there are many unsafe things out there. The reality is that the 'regulator' who decides what is unsafe will decide that all guns are unsafe. I wouldn't take my right to choose too lightly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz - as should be obvious by now, the real reason for the American Revolution was gun owners seeking freedom from the oppression of the London and Contintental Proof Houses.... grin

On a slightly more serious note, anyone know if there has been any studies on the relative rate of injury to gun owners from burst barrels in countries with and without proof houses?

Last edited by Doverham; 12/07/11 11:50 AM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello everybody:

I was reading this topic and think that the proof house does not need to be necesary ruled by your goverment.
You are the land of free enterprise, so an independient proof house could work (SAAMI comes to my mind).
Reputable and knowledge people put the rules, do the tests and you pay for the service; even a good bussiness could be.

Well, just an idea!

Best,

Jose M. Fernandez
Sidelock
Sidelock

Maybe proof loads could be provided for us voluntary tire testers...

Sidelock
Sidelock

jOe I see you fasten your buttstock to the inside of the tire while I tape mine to the side wall. I think your idea is better because you can scientifically measure how far the tire slides to the rear with proof loads. Do you proof both barrels at once or do them individually? crazy

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham

On a slightly more serious note, anyone know if there has been any studies on the relative rate of injury to gun owners from burst barrels in countries with and without proof houses?

A. This type study would require numerous separate classifications, I doubt any such real world documentation exists country by country, with or without:

1.)....Altered barrels that have been butchered and had barrel steel removed anywhere....
a. including shortening.....

2.)....Factory barrels that have NEVER had any steel alterations....

3.)....Bursts from OPERATOR ERROR....
a. plugged bores during firing....
b. wrong ammunition, size or length or load....
c. misuse, i.e.-old rusted deteriorated junk guns with zero maintenance being fired with modern ammo....

4.)....Bursts from metal fatigue alone under normal pressures and conditions in well maintained guns....

5.)....European Proof House "OVERSTRESS" metal fatigue FIRINGS which fail shortly thereafter....
a. such as in Ballistix999's case with his old Clarke hammer 20 bore which was "re-proofed" with maximum nitro loads and failed I think on the sixth (6th) shot afterwards......

As you can see Doverham, the list could go on and on and the bean counters/data compiler's would have a field day with this one.......and a few million dollars later, ultimately no agreement or conclusion.....

The stupidity factor (operator error) would LOOM LARGE in this type of a study as operator error probably accounts for the majority of bursts in any country I believe.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Homeless Joe has a great idea for a new business.
I think he could set up an American "Old tire" proof house .
He could make a fortune!:)

Last edited by Stallones; 12/07/11 01:52 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Doug - there are certainly are lot of nuances to that kind of information that could be abused/misused/misinterpreted by a regulator.

I asked the question from a "solution in search of a problem" perspective - is there any documented indication of a safety problem from unproofed guns that might warrant the need for a proof house?

Of course, if you wanted to promote proof houses, offer makers an absolute defense to product liability for proofed barrels. If the barrels pass proof, any subsequent malfunction would be deemed the result of operator error. (That approach ignores the question about how much proofing weakens barrels).

Gun proofing reflects the philosophical divide between the US and Europe on the regulation of risks generally. In Europe, there is risk until proven otherwise. In the US, there is no risk until it is proven. Europe uses bureaucrats to regulate risk, we use trial lawyers.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

SERIOUSLY- How many guns( older guns) do we know of that have blown up or had a problem such as the current worry about a proof house. I have been around thousands of rounds fired and only know of two that have blown and they were modern or semi-modern steel barrels. Sherman Bells DGJ articles with proof loads in dilapidated damascus barrel guns tell us the story.

Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.