April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (eeb, Fudd, bushveld, Geoff Roznak, 2 invisible), 416 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Excuse me if this is an ignorant remark, but won't a blackpowder load with a fairly soft bullet "bump up" enough to fit the bore and shoot accurately? I have no Germanic rifles but this has always worked quite well for me with American rifles that use similar cartridges that were originally designed for black powder. You can keep hardening dead soft bullets until you find the alloy that still shoots well but is hard enough to penetrate game. Or soften (anneal) the bases of hard lead bullets to help them bump up to the bore diameter.

Last edited by Mike A.; 09/28/11 11:37 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another Cabela's offerings on the proverbial Roux action:

A bit difficult to tell but that looks like a date code with a ledger number for Suhl, which seems to only be found on sporting weapons in the last 1/4 of 1923.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope that you didn't get rid of that brass yet.

I have an Austrian cape gun that I could not get to shoot for some time- until I miked the bore.
Turns out that although it was marked and chambered for a 9.2x72r, the bore measurements were very similar to yours. Apparently those 9.3 stop ring bullets tend to have much smaller diameters on either end. ( I am starting to believe that some makers produced smaller bores to take this into account.)
I worked up a load with a cast gas check 200gr slug. With the correct load of 4198 or 3031 it shoots to the sights. That is something that it never did with the Seller and Belot factory ammo.
When I bought my dies from CH4D they came with a .361 expander and the set I had wouldn't even fit a .364 bullet for seating. At first I thought that it was a mistake but I am pretty glad that I kept them as they work perfectly with the smaller slug.

You have a great hunting rifle there. Although the condition is what it is, there are no concerns hunting with it. And there are far more .358 bullets available for hunting than proper (200gr)9.3mms which when you do find them, are substantially more expensive.

Good luck with it.

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.