March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (RWG, Longknife, Der Ami, jcn, ksauers1, Jtplumb), 824 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hansli, the stuff used as a cement sealer years ago is called "water glass". It is sodium silicate and can be found in drug stores by the quart for some reason. I use it to seal brass shotgun cartridges.

If you used albumin to seal anything, it would rot with moisture.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OP Offline

Pineknot and sal and others---Yes, fully agreed: there are two or more ways to get "there" and yes everyone has different preferences / tastes.

I really agree with the posts that describe blending TWO elements. This is what I discovered accidentally: I wanted some attributes of oil and some attributes of varnish / urethane, and the way to get there seemed to me was to combine.

As a past epoxy formulator I am keen to blends and also as a past epoxy formulator I am very alert to incompatiability issues or chemical reactions when TWO or more ingredients are combined that should not be combined...

And that was part of the reason for laying out the original post. My formula combined oil and spar varnish and I was looking to get others people's experience with such an "un-orthodox" combining and even combining of methods. (turns out of coarse it was not really unorthodox and others have been there before me... no surprise there ...

Great info so far and thanks to all. I guess what I was looking for too was how to use the linseed oil to get it to 'dry' even a bit faster so I could go over it with a spar varnish (or other glossier finish) most likely a combination of some sort. Also, I wanted to get the forum's take on the use of ALKANET and the best carrier for it.

http://www.icm.cc
transforming ideas into reality
Sidelock
Sidelock

All a Merkel Freres needs is qy-biy application of Scherell's Schaftol of appropriate shade!
Why, you boys are like native medicine men with all them 'roots 'n spirits'.

OP Offline

Jagermeteister---It may be easy for you... but I did a google search for Scherell's Schaftol and all I get are websites NOT in English. Hence I am having a difficult time even locating this stuff.

I would like to find a finish product that would get me the look and feel of the wood on an older Merkel and not require seven weeks of multisteps. So I am most interested in this Scherell's Schaftol but I need a source that speaks English.

Yogi, At the risk of beating a dead or dying horse, I would suggest that the Minwax Antique Oil, the product I have most personal experience with, is indeed linseed based and in fact is the exact combination of components and finishing qualities you seek to achieve with your field expedient mixture. I suppose the question then becomes whether experienced paint chemists can do a better job of compounding than I can by winging it. Personal experience and common sense suggests a clear answer for me. Your view may be different, but it will be an interesting journey in any case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BrentD,
Albumin was used for many years as a sealant, perhaps because it was sealed in by oils in hopefully dry conditions originally, moisture was not too much of a problem in reality. Pineknot,
Most Antique Oils to my knowledge may also be called Danish Oil which just happens to be formulated from Tung and Linseed oil.
Many of my old recipes include the ingredient Vinegar.
Why? what properties does Vinegar have?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, BrentD.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, I can see where it was sealed in oil, it might last longer. I think it might have been an ingredient in artists' paints as well.

Vinegar might be there for it's acidic properties?

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

OP Offline

Pineknot-- Minwax Antique Oil sounds like good medicine. I have used Minwax products 'red mahogony' blended with mineral spirits and linseed oil with good success... So after your last post I called the local paint and stain company and they did not have the antique oil, nor did Home Depot / Lowes. So, where do you get Minwax Antique Oil..

And regarding the vinegar... yes it is acidic but what does THAT do in the formulations? Why is more acid needed? Does it help catalyze or retard the polymers?

Great info! Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yogi 000,
Your last post, second paragraph is spot on.I could not have said it better myself.
Surely we have a Chemist, or paint Technician who could give us an answer as to why Vinegar is used.According to Sir Peter Hawker, Joe Manton used vinegar in his stock finishing oil. Vinegar is also used in most Furniture reviving polishes.
Can you get Liberon products over there?
if so you could try Liberon Finishing Oil a very good finishing oil indeed.

Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.