May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Stanton Hillis, 1 invisible), 368 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,525
Posts545,828
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nialmac Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone have a gun, usually an auto, that clangs when you fire it. Right after the noise of action cycling there is a clang or a bell like sound, a crappy bell too. I don't believe I've ever heard it from a double. It's kind of funny but I'll bet it could drive some people crazy.
nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesnt drive me nuts, its the sound of a quality "forged" action. I like the way it sounds. A cast receiver will make no such "ring" but a dull thud.

Dustin

Last edited by LeFusil; 11/26/11 10:12 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Only once, with a 1100. Some shells overloaded with Red Dot really had it ringing, but it held together for a few more years before I finally shot it to pieces at sporting clays. Now, it's double guns only for me in competition.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dunno if that's the sound you're talking about, but once I borrowed an auto (a long-recoil model) to see if I'm going to like that, and after each shot, I heard the sound of the action cycling. It scared me to hell the first time, and it drove me mad afterwards. Lost all interest in repeaters ever since.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nial,
I think I've heard this on some doubles with hotter loads. Off hand I can't recall which guns, but I suspect my Parker Repro 28g with hot loads does this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a Parker VH that sounds like a tuning fork when I fire it. At first it bothered me but now it's like an old friend--darned few "rings" I can hear these days.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: nialmac
Anyone have a gun, usually an auto, that clangs when you fire it. Right after the noise of action cycling there is a clang or a bell like sound, a crappy bell too. I don't believe I've ever heard it from a double. It's kind of funny but I'll bet it could drive some people crazy.
nial

The man clearly owns a Beretta 391 AL2. The clang is the self cleaning gizmo in the gas operating mechanism. Its especially irritating when you're missing birds!...Geo

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably the most dreaded sound in an automatic is the Benelli Click. Been there, heard that the first time I called in a turkey with my sbe. Pulled trigger, heard "click" but no "boom". Those turkeys are still running. There's a trick to closing the bolt slowly and quietly. Unless done properly it won't go into battery. The tip-off is the position of the extractor. Letting it close with the noise level of railcars coupling and there is no problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely explains why most LE and Military special Ops. units that are issued riot 12 bore shotguns are pumpguns and not autos.I shot a $1750 Binelli with all the tubes, etc at a SC event a few years ago- finally had a gun I could hit the bouncing wabbitts with-- but it felt like a Buzz lightyear space blaster- and for that money I could buy a good LC Smith 20 ejector gun and have cash left to buy RST shells-

I only shoot Model 12 pumps (I gave my black plastic Mossenberg 835 to my son-in-law) and side-by-sdies with two triggers--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a Beretta Silver Snipe that made a sort of popgun sound on firing. I think it was Federal wads trying to get free of those .723 bores. I quit shooting guns with the makings of a pogostick inside.

jack

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.