April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mills, Argo44, SKB), 434 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,065
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Used to shoot a 10 ga. L.C. Smith 0 grade damascus gun but traded it off last year.
SRH

Ah, the good ol' days when I had time, money and interest in digging those guns out of the western woodwork. wink

As to shooting damascus guns. I'll just add this:

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forgot to mention in my previous post that when scouting for possible gun acquisitions, I must admit that if a particular gun piques my interest but does NOT have damascus tubes I feel a little let down. I'm likely to pass on an otherwise attractive gun, as silly as that may seem to some

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Krakow Kid
Forgot to mention in my previous post that when scouting for possible gun acquisitions, I must admit that if a particular gun piques my interest but does NOT have damascus tubes I feel a little let down. I'm likely to pass on an otherwise attractive gun, as silly as that may seem to some

I feel the same way, Krakow Kid. Damascus or twist barrels just add a certain "class" to a gun that fluid steel can never have (IMO). After all, I'm way, way past the stage of buying a do all gun. There's a special charm to reach back a century or more and join hands with the old men and to enjoy the product of their never to be repeated skills.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use damascus barreled guns all the time. Usually stick to 28grm loads or lower.

Cheers
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love the beauty of a damascus barreled gun, there is just something that excites the eye. I shoot muzzle loaders and breech loaders. BUT everyone as been checked as well as possible to make sure that the barrels are in good condition and fit for purpose and I shoot them without a worry.
BUT this thread has just rung an alarm bell in my head.
How many of us have willingly shot a gun that we have been handed to shoot, without confirming it is sound!
I know I have, many times. Now that is scary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot Damascus barreled Lefevers on a regular basis. All those I shoot from a lowly H in twist to my "go to" sporting clays A 16 gauge have been examined and measured by those who are better at doing that than me. Reloading is way too hard to do in Hawaii so I use RST, Polywad and New Era low pressure ammo. I don't get to do a lot of hunting, so when I do shoot its 25-100 rounds at a time at the trap or sporting clays range. No problem so far.
I have yet to see a problem at the few side by side meets I do get to go to with those shooting good condition Damascus guns using commercial low pressure ammo.
On the other hand, I have seen a number of blown barrels, both Damascus and fluid steel. However, I rarely got the details of what was being shot and the circumstances behind the incident that caused that barrel to blow. I quit hunting public lands in New York after I saw a guy using a loaded gun as a crutch coming up out of a ravine and then attempting to blow the dirt out of the end of the barrel while the gun was still loaded. He then proceeded to resume hunting without even checking the barrel.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a Damascus Remington 1894 10ga and Parker NH Twist barrel 10ga quite bit. About a 1000 rounds a year between the two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The term "safe" doesn't come to mind when I think of setting off an explosive charge a few inches from my face, especially in a very old gun. I think of it more in terms of managing the risk. Keep it below an acceptable level of risk and have at it. If you are the type that need "safe" as an absolute, I suggest you quit shooting all guns, quit driving/riding in autos and quit flying as a minimum. You might wanna become a vegan as well. But stay away from sprouts especially, and spinach too. Both are risky for bacterias that have caused deaths. Lots of food experts have written extensively on these as high risk foods due to the way they're grown.

I shoot damascus occasionally.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/25/11 07:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DrBob
I quit hunting public lands in New York after I saw a guy using a loaded gun as a crutch coming up out of a ravine and then attempting to blow the dirt out of the end of the barrel while the gun was still loaded. He then proceeded to resume hunting without even checking the barrel.

You sure he wasn't from Maine....

Sidelock
Sidelock

One suggestion for twist/damascus barrel reloaders.

I use a "color-code" to separate my damascus loads from all other reloads. I use 12 ga. Remington gold hulls ONLY for low-pressure damascus reloads. Only gold hulls go in the damascus barrels.

Obviously there is no harm in shooting one of these gold shells in a regular barrel, but I refrain from doing so.

JERRY

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.