May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (dearmer, bushveld, KY Jon, Ken Nelson, 2 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
What are the sexes and ages of the four?
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the idea of a small female shorthair. My male is 55lbs, he's a loving and comical dog with my 4 year old daughter, a real family dog. In the field he is a driven machine and adapted well to a variety of bird species (grouse, woodcock, pheasant, chukar, quail). He was very easy to train, basically trained himself and is a natural retriever too.

Provided you get one from a good breeder I don't think you can go wrong witha GSP. 2nd choice would be the Brittany.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Get a Brittany. I have two and you couldn't ask for a better pet/bird dog. They hunt well, retrieve well (they love to dove hunt too), and are the best house dogs in the world. Plus, the are the perfect size. You won't be disappointed with a Britt, I promise you that.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd have to weigh in for the smallish female GSP that's been suggested. Real bird dogs and generally docile enough to live in the home. Nothing wrong with the Brittanies, but they do gather burrs in the field. Spaniels are cute and are driven retrievers, but they're flushing dogs and you better be in good shape to expect to keep up and get any shots...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Go with a Brittney and you'll never regret it. Great companion and the BEST birddog I've ever been around. I hunt mine on pheasant, grouse, woodcock and quail. Sits next to me in the duck blind and swims and retrieves like a champ too. Easily trained and an extremely loyal hunting partner. Mine stays in the house and is friend to not only my 5 kids but every other kid in the neiborhood too.

Not bragging (O.K. Bragging) but I hunt 2x per year in the U.P of Michigan for grouse. Right beside guys with 5 thousand dollar dogs. I don't spend 5K on my truck let alone a hunting dog and my dog finds twice as many birds (no B.S. I keep a bird log) as any other dog in camp.

Just my 2 cents. Best regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pups, and thorazine, available smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rfankhauser
These are some of the qualities we are looking for:
We are looking for a fairly small dog. We would prefer one under 50 lbs. 30-40 lbs is ideal. Our last dog was 75 lbs and we'd prefer a smaller dog. A good family pet is very important and is more important then it be a good hunter. In other words a good pet is number 1 priority then followed by hunting ability. Bird dogs tend to have a lot of energy so we are looking for a breed that can turn off some of that energy when hanging out in the house. The hunting will be in northern California (at least for now) primarily for quail but possibly for some other bird species and maybe occasional duck hunting. Another consideration is that there are plenty of burrs where I hunt so a breed that has a coat that isn't too difficult to remove burrs from would be helpful.

As you are going to both hunt upland and waterfowl, then the breed that put versitle in the dictionary, a breed that has been around for 400-500 years and was one of the four foundation breeds for what is now known as the versitle breeds - would be just the ticket. I would recommend that you take a look at the Small Munsterlander Pointer, or KLM as it is known across the pond.

Many years ago when I started looking for my first sporting dog, I had the exact same requirements that you listed. #1 was a dog that could be a house pet as well – I didn't want a dog that lived in a kennel. After narrowing the list down to a couple breeds it was my wife that decided, she saw an SMP and decided on the spot that was going to be our dog.

The SMP is a small/med sized sporting dog. My little guy excells at anything that involves his nose. He points like a setter, is steady as an EP, retrieves like a BL, marks like a CBR, and tracks like a blue tic. When hunting farms with ponds, I can hunt phesants and jump shoot ducks at the same time. Yet he can turn his prey drive off and be lap dog. Matter of fact he's more affectionate pet than my wifes little furbal dog.

Just this year the Small Munsterlander Club of North America became a chapter of the German KLM-D. This means that all of the new puppies born in the U.S. will have an FCI pedigree and follow the testing under the JGHV, same as the DD and DK. It means that there will only be "one version" of the Small Munsterlander in this country, the same Small Munsterlander as found in everyother country per the KLM - I (International) --- no AKC / show dogs to contaminate the hunting stock. Check out http://www.smallmunsterlander.org/ and the litter my little guy sired last year (pups pointing at 9-13 weeks) http://www.trupointkennel.com/tru-point-b-litter.html

Some pics of my little guy.......

Here he is at deer camp, keeping everthing secure with grandpa whilst I'm out in the bush

After the hunt

My absolute fav pic - pointing a spring woodcock

Training for the NAVHDA duck search - chasing the duck

And one more spring doodle - just can't get enough of a pointing dog at work!!!

Gary

Last edited by Puddle Rat; 08/22/11 09:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ron,
I think you have a good list. I'd add Lab to the mix, because you said three things in addition to quail: Good companion above all else, DUCK, and BURRS. Obviously, there are better quail dogs, but toss in those requirements and you gotta at least look at Labs. I'm not talking about big fat 100lb Labs, but little 50lb athletic females bred for trials.

I hunt quail, chukar, and pheasant over my Lab. I'm not a waterfowler. She's a very energetic hunter. Her drive is amazing. Not the optimum quailer. But the companionship of a Lab is hard to match. My dog is welcome in many friend's homes and has even stayed with 4 or 5 friends when we've traveled. She's always gotten an invitation back.

There's a guy named Ted Robinson in Yuba City that finds Labs for hunters. Pin-Mark Retrievers. 530-635-3333 or 530-674-2891. Chat with him a bit. You can mention my name, Chuck Heald as well as my dog Jasmine. Our pics are on his website.

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/22/11 09:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ballistix999
Salopian...and also completely mad!! I'd go for a black lab...my son wants me to buy a gun dog this year...and I'm just too worry about a spaniel... smile
T

Neither dogs are pointing dogs...to hunt wild quail you need a pointing dog.

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, you don't. You don't need a mule drawn wagon either.

bc
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.