March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Borderbill, damascus, Jason Dubois, gunmaker, 2 invisible), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

This was just passed down to a buddy of mine who is not much of a gun guy and he is seeking any info on it he can get. Like a lot of people these days he's hurting for money and might sell, but I'm hoping I can put enough history into the gun to make him want to hold on to it.

Marked "Wm Moore & Co." on the side and "London Fine Twist" on top. I'm told the ELG proof mark means is Belgium made.

It was his father's and before that his grandfather's and neither of them hunted or went shooting so it has been stored in one closet or another for 50+ years. From what I can see of the bores they are clean and smooth. It seems to function perfectly.

Any idea as to fair market value would be appreciated.

[img]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/john-n-jax/fulllength.jpg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I friend of mine just bought a Wm. Moore near identical to this one at a Muzzleloading event for $400.00. I think that is probably fair and reasonable.WHAT is that 8th picture of?

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are not an expensive gun. They were marked as such to try and ride off the Moore name from England. It is maybe a 400.00 gun if it is in good shape. They are not high dollar guns. He IMO would be better off keeping it as a family heirloom than selling it, since it is not worth much anyways. JMO

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a Belgian made knockoff of an English name. The above estimates are quite correct IMHO.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

George is right. If it is an English Moore the 400.00 would be ok,but if it is all Belgium made 150-200 IMO

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the info guys, anyone got an apprx date range for mfg and/or import? He's not going to go out and buy a reference book, but if anyone would care to recommend one he might find in a Library I know he'd appreciate it.

Stallones the 8th pic is the backside of the bbls/chamber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

john,in jax.
Your gun was sold by H&D Folsom of 312-314 Broadway,New York,N.Y.It sold in $13.50 circa 1880.
As stated by others your gun is yet another example a gun bearing a spurious English makers name,made in Belgium, sold by Folsom. Folsom sold guns with over 100 different house brand names. Many of which suggested English origin.Perhaps the most badly abused name was; W.Richards! There is currently such a W.Richards; Folsom gun offered for sale on a well known auction site; the write up states the gun was made by Westley Richards! Buyers beware, research such guns with great care before purchase.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy: here's an 1881 Folsom catalog when they were at 30 Warren St.

In 1889 at 15 Murray St.

In 1893 when they acquired Crescent, they were on Broadway. This is from 1905 courtesy of Researcher.

Do you have a catalog listing the Wm. Moore & Co. percussion double and thanks?

More here http://docs.google.com/a/damascusknowled...uSXXQ&pli=1

BTW: PeteM's list of Belgian maker's/trademarks lists 'JV' as J. Van Dalem, but the littlegun site doesn't have any infro frown Joseph Vandalem de Chaudfontaine was a barrel maker and member of Syndicat des Fabricants de Canons de Fusil de la Vesdre
If that is a 'Crown over JJ', it could be Joseph Joiris of Nessonvaux.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 08/03/11 05:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Willam Moore (the English one) was a first class Gunmaker and as such had his good name widely abused. I had one among a batch of scrap guns that I de-activated to make into safe wall hangers that was marked Wm. Moore and a London address that he had never traded from. The gun was a dreadful piece of rubbish but bore English proof marks; possibly forged. I would suggest that your friend treats his as just an interesting wallhanger as the condition looks rather poor to risk firing. Lagopus.....

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

THANKS! He's not much of a gun guy, and will never go out and buy powder, caps etc... needed to shoot it. Since neither his father or grandfather ever shot it or pulled it out of the closet, there's just not much "family" attraction to it.

I'm hoping I can come up with enough historical details to get him interested in hanging on to it, but it might be for sale here before to long.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.