May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, Researcher, Beccaccia28, MattH, 1 invisible), 966 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,787
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought one for 16 ga. and had a rough time. I couldn't get the crimp to close, and did all the adjustments reccomended in the manual didn't help.

As it turns out, a side comment on some website: "If you're using Fiochi hulls, it might help to set the pre-crimper down an eighth or sixteenth of an inch."

Which I did, and immediately started turning out excellent reloads. It was amazing and should have been covered in the manual, but if it was, I didn't see it.

Anyway, I salvaged the powder and shot, so not all was lost.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, good ole American ingenuity. That little crimp starter is far more important than most realize. For a long time I fiddled with other crimp adjustments trying to get the "perfect" closure. Nothing worked and I felt like an idiot. Finally, a feller on Shotgun World, called Curley, mentioned the crimp starter should be set low enough to leave an opening in the hull no larger than a wooden pencil. I tried it and presto! Perfect crimps. I've since tweaked it a little and the openings are even smaller than his recommendation. Of such small things are great improvements made.

I have found it invaluable to occasionaly visit the Reloading forum over on Shotgunworld.com. You'll quickly learn more there than any MEC manual could ever tell you. Also, the MEC folks are wonderfully helpful when visiting on the phone.

Last edited by Joe Wood; 07/31/11 07:33 PM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are also helpful by e-mail. I received these tips years ago, from customer support, and saved them. Maybe they will help someone else.

Use furniture polish on the inside bottom of the primer tray to ensure smooth primer feeding.

Make sure the black arm inside the auto-prime tray is adjusted so that it does not come upwards on the down stroke. It should stay on the bottom of the tray at all times.

If you have primers jumping out of the primer pocket when the handle reaches the top of the upstroke it is probably because the sizing collet is not cleaned and lubricated properly. If it still does it, it is because the fingers are contacting the primer and you should adjust the collet ring down 1/2 turn.

Little things like this can make life a lot more pleasant, eh?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another "MEC Oddity" is that the bushing recommendations in most relosding manuals is "usually conservative." Perhaps it is to allow for variations in manufacturing tolerances.

Very often, the book will call for powder bushing #30 for a given load of "X powder." When you actually weigh that charge, it will often be lighter weight than the manual specified. I often have to use a powder busing one or even two sizes larger to get to the specified weight (i.e bushing #31 or #32).

It is important to check the powder bushings with an accurate scale.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is called liability.
If you think the powder charge is light, weigh your shot charge, it will be also light. One ounce of shot is closer to 15/16 oz. and that is for all charge bars for shot.

David

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.