May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefAmungum, Themauserkid, Jeremy Pearce, Canvasback13, 1574trap, CJF), 237 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,895
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shawn here is the little Marlin 1892 which lettered with Cody as originally factory case colored (.75 extra in 1906).......complete rebuild and I shoot it quite a bit as you can see......32 CF..... I had to make the 'Rocky Mountain' front sight from scratch.

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nice work guys.

I found a temperature gage on eBay. Buy it Now or Make Offer, made offer and accepted $30 with free shipping. It is a Weston gage, 200-1000 degrees with a 3" face and 9" stem.
Had a choice of gage face either horizontal or vertical and picked vertical to stem. Figured it might be easier to look at and less likely to bump it.

Hopefully by Saturday or Monday will have it and will post some pictures of results.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

Your guns look very nice. I need to practice taking better photos. I agree that my Marlin colors are a little off. It was the first Marlin that I colored and I was still experimenting with shielding. I used a 2:1 wood to bone charcoal ratio for the Marlin. I colored the SAA several months ago and had learned more about shielding by that time. I used a 2:1 ration for that gun too and quenced at a higher temperature than I ususally do. It has too much green for Colt colors in my opinion. The Bisley I did three weeks ago. I used my usual quench temperature and a 2:1 charcoal ration. I got fewer greens and much more Colt like colors. I am still experimenting with the process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Nice work guys.

I found a temperature gage on eBay. Buy it Now or Make Offer, made offer and accepted $30 with free shipping. It is a Weston gage, 200-1000 degrees with a 3" face and 9" stem.
Had a choice of gage face either horizontal or vertical and picked vertical to stem. Figured it might be easier to look at and less likely to bump it.

Hopefully by Saturday or Monday will have it and will post some pictures of results.

Fantastic David........that is a very good gauge..........U.S.A.

You'll be cookin' now...............Be extra careful with the hot salts as everyone above has mentioned.....

Keep us posted, looking forward to the pictures....!.......

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shawn
Doug,

Your guns look very nice. I need to practice taking better photos. I agree that my Marlin colors are a little off. It was the first Marlin that I colored and I was still experimenting with shielding. I used a 2:1 wood to bone charcoal ratio for the Marlin. I colored the SAA several months ago and had learned more about shielding by that time. I used a 2:1 ration for that gun too and quenced at a higher temperature than I ususally do. It has too much green for Colt colors in my opinion. The Bisley I did three weeks ago. I used my usual quench temperature and a 2:1 charcoal ration. I got fewer greens and much more Colt like colors. I am still experimenting with the process.

Thank you Shawn..........we all experiment changing the ration, CCH is like a snowflake, no two are alike........all the castings and alloys are different as you know, even with the same manufacturer.

Your work really looks nice Shawn. Labor of love.

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One queston I have regarding this Nitre Bluing process, will it affect any parts that are case hardened? I want to Nitre Blue the top lever, and it is case hardened.

I know the shaft is. I took a hammerless top lever and shaped it for a hammer gun. The top part was workable and to me I was able to file it with no problem and I don't remember if in the begining I had trouble breaking through the skin.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

David:-- ..If you didn't remove the skin all over the lever top surface, it probably won't blue right for color ...........you could gently bead blast it on low pressure, then take it down with 400 w/d for a decent surface, then hot blue it, should be o.k.

You've seen case colored guns that have been blued....some look real lousy and some blue o.k., but still look nasty to me, JMO.

Did you file all over the top surface while reshaping it and remove all the case skin...?....

Hope this helps.....

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug, the thing I was worried about is the temperature of the bath annealing the case hardening.

The top lever that I made from a hammerless one, I used cold blued it a few times and it matched the rest of the metal ok.

I just polished this one and it came out shiny. The bluing on it wasn't too bad for a gun built in 1901.
I buy these "klunkers" as Russ Ruppel used to call them, and it gives me a chance to work on them and fix them up.
In the last year or so I really got into hammer guns, and like the pre-1897 ones with the back action locks. But if the price is right, I will get the later ones like this one.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JDW
Doug, the thing I was worried about is the temperature of the bath annealing the case hardening.

David.....annealing takes place at 1450 F with an 8/10/12 hour slow temperature descent (cool down period in the furnace), so blueing at 6-7-even 800 F is o.k. and the hardening (temper) of the shaft/lever will not be lost.

Cheers,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

David,

I have successfully nitre blue hardened parts one of two ways. The first is to nitre blue the part with a first pass. Usually the first blue will have a light blue grey color with patches of blue-black. Next, polish off the blue with 400-600 and reblue. Often times the second blue takes. I believe that this works because the heat from the first blue tempers the steel. Sometimes this doesn't work very well on all steels. The second method I have used is to put the parts in the salt bath several times without polishing between blues. Each time more blue builds up. This is the only way I have been able to blue 2nd generation SAA cylinders. I have to experiment with temperatures but hardened steels will usually turn blue-black somewhere between 750-850F. Good luck.

I have a gunsmith acquaintance who claims to have spoken with a former employee of Turnbull. According to him Turnbull uses 825F. He said the employee claimed that Turnbull used what he described as a "yellowish liquid salt bath" to charcoal" blue and not charcoal. The former employee would not tell him what the salts were. The "yellowish liquid salt bath" sure sounds like nitre salts to me. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. It was just what I was told second hand.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.