May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fudd), 234 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,168
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi I need some help with my 1910 Ithaca flues. The stock has been damaged on the right side at the top where it meets the receiver. It has had a chip come off about an inch long and a quarter inch deep. The problem I have run into is the screw under the release hinge is striped. I have tried putting leverage under the head of the screw while trying to turn it and it still will not come out. If anyone has come across this before and has any suggestion please let me know thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ILD,
Are referring to the screw that retains the triggerplate to the bottom of the frame?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

He would be on any gun other than a Flues Chuck. Flues guns use a wood screw under the top lever and instead of a machine screw threaded into the trigger plate like most guns. Its common for them to strip and a design flaw in my opinion.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Sorry I want to take the stock off to repair it. Thats when I came across the striped screw.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The broken piece off the stock of a Flues right behind the top edge of the receiver is very common. Just a bad design. Nothing in there to really draw the action back into the wood when the screws are tightened up.

..and the top tang screw is a simple wood screw as already pointed out.
As it isn't the best of securing methods for the top tang, many have failed over the years and have been 'repaired' by placing a machine screw in it's place with a nut in the wood to thread in to.
If fixed in that way, the nut is inletted or otherwise set into the wood on the underside of the area opposite the tang.
If it's not inletted tightly or glued into place, it can turn with the screw as you try to remove it.

Luckily, you don't need to remove that screw to take the trigger plate off.
Take the rear tang screw out after removing the trigger guard,,and the trigger plate screw on the bottom out,,,and the trigger plate comes off.
Sometimes a gentle tap or two with a dowel from above through the opening in the table helps separate them.

Then you can see if there is in fact a repair to the top tang screw by looking up from the bottom at the area of wood opposite the top tang screw inside the stock.
Or in the very least you can push upwards on the point of it if it's broken through the wood to push it up and out.

The frame/receiver comes off the stock after that.
That area of wood is about 5/8" thick at most and has a cut out in the front area of it for the top lever spring and screw and at the rear for the safety spring. A prime place for a large wood screw to crack and split the stock.

The sear springs are attached to the trigger plate, so they won't be taking a ride on you when the trigger plate is taken off, and the sears can usually be left in place on the frame when removing the action from the wood. If they do interfere, drive the sear pin out and the 2 sears will drop free.
The sears go back in with the sear arms toward the center of the frame.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Kutter. That was the reply I was looking for and in great detail to. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.