April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (rwarren, Tom Shaffer, Jimmy W, smlekid, LeFusil), 225 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,997
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shows like Winter Vegas and SCI are expensive for attendees. That frees up the aisles for high rolling spenders. However, open air shows like the Vintagers and the EPIC Game Fair should be available to the non paying attendee because many vendors have items for sale that would be attractive to everyone, not just high rollers. I am thankful that the Vintage Cup allows Vintager members and registered shooters to get in free. I can't wait until we can hear what experienced UK Game Fair attendees have to say about the "moneysworth" comparison to the Douglasville game fair.

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

We, of course, are talking to the "choir" here, regarding Steel Shot. It is a shame that we won't be able to use our older/fine shotguns with steel and feel put upon by the EPIC management.
However, the vast, no very vast majority of shooters who will attend and participate in Sporting Clays, will be shooting modern over/unders and automatics and for them, there is no issue.
Result is that the EPIC management have no real interest in hearing about our concerns.
I'll be at the Vintage Cup!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jent P.:
Mia culpa. I forgot to specify "registered shooters" as an exception to the gate fee... which I, for one, consider chicken feed compared to the per-event ticket cost of ANY professional sports event in the US. Not to mention those delicious pig snout hot dogs you get to eat once you're in. Once a year, for the good of shooting sport, I don't mind a whit forking over a $20... or signing up to shoot, or joining Vintagers, or compensating Game Fair. It's difficult to escape Denny's for under $20.

By the way, this year's UK Game Fair entry is 29 pounds at the gate. Roughly $52 US. Any "common man" takers for that? About 200,000 Brits will go it.

Best, Kensal

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
GF1, et al:
Vintagers is $20 per day, per person for non-members. Game Fair, $27. If the "common man" can pay the gate, fine. If not, fine. Vintagers has done well. And I hope Game Fair does equally well. There are plenty of "affordable" events for the common man if he balks at these prices. But the idea of both Vintagers and Game Fair is the ELEVATE the shooting sports and positively juxtapose them to endeavours that others accept. This can only preserve responsible sport, not debase it. Few in tweeds, breeks and carrying a Purdey ever cast a poor image on shooting. Or tossed a Coors can into the marsh. Just my view of things.

Best, Kensal

Keep your tweeds and your inference, Kensal. You're proving my point.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DGM
My Question:

I've been to the last two CLA Game Fairs in England, so I'm really excited to see this coming together. However, is it true that I can't shoot lead on that new sporting clays course you've all built? I shoot traditional side by side shotguns, so that would leave me out of luck and disappointed.
·
Epic Outdoor Game Fair response:

Foxhall is the largest "green certified" community in Georgia, and the sporting clays course will comply with that standard. It will be a non-toxic shot course, so no lead. This is a very special place with one of the fine...st sporting clays courses in the country, so we hope you'll make an exception this time. We'll have loaner guns available for sporting clays, and in the Fine Gun area, there will be a demo area where lead shot can be used for this event only.

Ah, yes. Separate but equal, in the finest Georgia tradition.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder what kind of target presentations will be set up in the lead area.

Last edited by Adam Stinson; 07/03/11 05:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

GF1:
And exactly what IS your point? If you can articulate it.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MIKE THE BEAR
We, of course, are talking to the "choir" here, regarding Steel Shot. It is a shame that we won't be able to use our older/fine shotguns with steel and feel put upon by the EPIC management.
However, the vast, no very vast majority of shooters who will attend and participate in Sporting Clays, will be shooting modern over/unders and automatics and for them, there is no issue.
Result is that the EPIC management have no real interest in hearing about our concerns.
I'll be at the Vintage Cup!

Mike, I respectfully disagree. If you look at the list of vendors, you'll see that the fine doublegun crowd is definitely in the crosshairs for EPIC. Game Fair, Griffin & Howe, Robin Hollow, Steve Barnett, Vintage Doubles, Wingshooting Adventures . . . those are all dealers who trade primarily (if not almost exclusively) in finer side by sides. Not at all the crowd you'd find at a state SC shoot, zone shoot, something of that nature.

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/03/11 05:35 PM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Ah, yes. Separate but equal, in the finest Georgia tradition.

And made the law of the land by the US Supreme Court in Plessy v. Ferguson in a landmark 1896 opinion. The only dissenter was Justice Harlan who was from the South (Kentucky). The majority opinion consisted of Justices who were either born or lived in New England (NY, MA, CT and PA.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

One poster mentioned that the modern gun shooters would be the bulk of the shooters, so steel shot shouldn't be a problem. Another poster mentioned that the great food available inside the gate would make it all worthwhile, regardless of the admission fee. Other posters imply that racial equality is a question to be thrown into the equation about the shoot and the green question. I suspect that we may see our share of Democrats at the Game Fair. Maybe this will be the gateway event for the 2012 election. Who is on the "Speakers List"?

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.