March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just found this:

http://www.loire.fr/jcms/c_819765/manufrance-nous-devoile-ses-archives

Have not yet gone in but they should prove to be "interesting".

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frustrating site. Nothing readily available!

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Larry,

An interesting aside is that James and I, and others, when we have work done on them, invariably get very positive feedback from the smiths who are encountering them for the first time. Action design, materials employed, and execution are typically cited.

Mike

Mike,
That is so true. I currently have an Ideal with Martin Hagn who specializes in falling block actions and rifles. He has never had one in hand before and is quite taken with it.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
Larry,

An interesting aside is that James and I, and others, when we have work done on them, invariably get very positive feedback from the smiths who are encountering them for the first time. Action design, materials employed, and execution are typically cited.

Mike

Mike,
That is so true. I currently have an Ideal with Martin Hagn who specializes in falling block actions and rifles. He has never had one in hand before and is quite taken with it.

David, I know it won't be cheap but here's to hoping Martin can rectify the problem created by the other gunsmith. He certainly is talented enough and having him like the gun must help, I would think.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

James,

Martin is only working on some of the metal parts. Reworking the firing pins, hardening the cocking spur/hammer. He is reworking the pitch on the butt stock but that is the only wood work he agreed to do. He recommended someone else in BC that I do not know. I think I'll leave the wood work to Chris Dawe.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another aside:

Three 16ga Ideals in Texas, top is a 314, then two No. 5's from the 1920's.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful guns, Mike. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike--Do the safeties on those all work backwards to what you would normally expect? That is, forward is on safe, back is off. That was the case with my one and only Ideal, and I could not get used to it in a field gun. On the other hand, one virtue of the Ideal safety is that it's truly ambidextrous.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are correct, Larry. It is not present on the early guns, and does really appear to be an "afterthought" or, "well, if you insist, we'll put one on." They often have varnish or crud underneath them, and don't work at all. The small button is only sufficient if the safety is working flawlessly. Milton's No.5, bottom of the three in the pic, has had a few alterations (which he is addressing). A sharp observer will note the soldered on extension to the safety.

Truth be told, and I guess I'm a little reluctant to openly admit this- I treat mine like a pigeon gun, relying on the safety between my ears, and the decocking feature. I have been taught, and think it's a good practice even hunting alone, to slip the safety off on the mount. Not possible with many of the Ideals, and those of us who love them adapt, preferring to view it as a mole on a supermodel. smile

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

My lunette Ideal safety is on when to the front postion, and my NO6 is on when it is to the rear. The weak point of the Ideal is the safety, in my opinion.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.