March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (BEY, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, FelixD, Dan R, 2 invisible), 385 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Mark,

Nice vintage case that adds to the history of your fantastic find!

I am enclosing a photo of mine's stock with a Pachmyr English type pad I fitted for your reference.
I chose a black one that I think goes well with my stock colour. Maybe a brown/red one might go better with yours.

Good shooting,

JC

Last edited by JayCee; 06/24/11 12:49 PM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Guys,

I'm a little late to this thread. What a beautiful Ideal. I think they are one of the nicest looking, sexy and well made shotguns I have ever handled. That said I have not found that I shoot either of mine really well. I am lucky enough to be the steward of 2 one is an early 1900's 3r with tons of case colors and lunette trigger guard. I also currently have (once Dustin's and Bill G's)a grade 6 which is truely a work of art. I don't have any pics handy to post and I am going to try to learn to shoot the 6 up to its potential this summer.

Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Jeff,

Here you go! This is your lunette:

and its flats:

How's that for cooperation!

Best,

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi JC

Thanks you really are a organized and computer savy friend. I will find some pics of the grade 6 and add them to this thread.

Thanks, Jeff

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm resurrecting this thread from last summer because I was lucky enough to acquire the subject Manufrance Ideal and I have a couple questions still.

JayCee, you date the gun to 1921 in one of your posts but I have attached a listing I got from the seller, Mark Dube on this forum, and the serial number suggests the gun is from 1919. Any thoughts anyone?

Also, any suggestions for a good person to repair the case? Someone located in Canada would be Ideal (get it!) but more importantly would be to get it done well. A careful and accurate restoration is what I am looking for.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jaycee and I use the look up table from the Mournetas book.
The table that you have comes from the Barrel making operation, which has little to do with the finished guns and has earlier dates.
Best regards,
WC

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

WC, Thank you. That clears it up for me as well as makes sense.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I am resurrecting this thread as a teaser for my fellow Manufrance Ideal aficionados. Over the next few months (up to a year) I will be providing some updates on this gun, a Grade 6R EE Excelsior, as some work has been done already and more is in the works. Hopefully this may provoke more Ideal discussion. See what I did there? wink

First thing I did, in the spring of 2015, was send the barrels to our friend Doug Woodin (PA24). Despite this being a French gun and having significant reservations about allowing it into his workshop (LOL) Doug took delivery of it and did a stellar job of blackening it. I also have some barrels done by our friend on this site, CJO, and with both of them, I can't imagine better work being possible. Doug also admitted that these actually were pretty okay barrels. High praise indeed from Doug.

The stock was badly in need of a refinish and to have that hardened old pad dealt with. So the gun is currently with our member Newf,(Chris Dawe) getting a much needed refinish. After much deliberation with Chris, I decided to have a horn butt plate made as a replacement for the pad. Also, Chris was able to determine original chequering was at a crazy 36 lpi. That has been the subject of a lot of thought and I have finally decided 36 is just too much....might as well not chequer it. So will likely go with something fine but not that fine.

Chris also found a crack in the wood in the inletting so that has been pinned and glassed. And a cracked leaf spring (although it has not failed yet). Working on getting a replacement out of France so a spare is handy. If it arrives before Chris is putting the gun back together, he will just install the new spring.

I put a lot of thought into having it CCH'd, as I have done on a few other restorations. But on this gun, I have decided not to. One has to try to get the right aesthetic balance, especially with redone barrels and stock, but I have come to believe this gun is best served by leaving the action alone. Although I could probably be swayed by a really good argument in favour. Haha.

And finally, in another thread on this site, Lefusil and Wingshooter16 got me thinking very hard about adding a second set of barrels to the gun. The original barrels, made in 1919 are 5 palm, 29" barrels choked mod and full. I have acquired a set of 4 palm, 25.5" original length barrels that will be opened to appropriate Ruffed Grouse/Quail chokes. These barrels were also made in 1919, also made for a Grade 6 gun. Currently, I am searching out the ejector iron to have a new forend made as we fit the new barrels to the gun. As the forend making/barrel fitting portion of the job starts later this year, likely after hunting season, I will update with photos.

I expect the gun to be back in my possession from Chris before the end of August. He tells me the wood is looking pretty okay. When it arrives I will be posting some updated pics of the gun, as well as some "work in progress" pics Doug took of the barrels.

I have also had that unique leather gun case restored as much as possible. It's original construction method and current condition made a restoration very difficult but we did the best we could. So I'll get some photos of that up as well.

Last edited by canvasback; 07/08/16 10:20 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to see the Ideal thread resurrected. The French round action is a true treasure over here...Geo

Wish there were more of them around.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 07/12/16 11:04 AM. Reason: added stock pic
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for bringing this back. Re-reading it is an education. Love that stock.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.