May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Marks_21, Jimmy W, SKB, Kolar Dickson), 684 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,056
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
terc #229986 05/26/11 03:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

terc, do you suppose the seller was trying to tell you one barrel shoots low?

I am glad to be here.
terc #230011 05/26/11 08:52 PM
terc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The message that was relayed to me was that both barrels shot low.
I haven't been able to talk directly to the the person who did the testing. He is on vacation this week.
I'll let you know what he sais after I talk to him.
Thanks for all the advice so far.
Dave

terc #230032 05/27/11 08:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverham,
You'll hear all kinds of reasons by people that are why an individual barrel or both barrels hit in a different location than aimed, but many will ignore the obvious and insist it's gun fit no matter the evidence.

Double guns have relatively crudely built and assembled barrels. They aren't beanfield rifles intended to hit point of aim hundreds of yards away, so they haven't developed manufacturing precision to that end. Heck, even a "best gun" from the best makers have barrels that are tied together with bailing wire, leveled with a Mark 1 eyeball and soldered with a torch.

Barrel tubes warp when bored and turned from the stress relief effect. Good makers will "hand straighten" using a little screw driven press made for the job. Straightness is checked by, you guessed it, Mark 1 eyeball.

Then there's the choke boring/openning up, after the barrel is bored on machinery. On double guns of the type we fawn over, it's often done by hand using reamers that are piloted, but skill is required. I've seen (recently) a gun of mine had the choke bored offcenter enought to cause a significant shift in POI.

The point is that barrels on our double guns have a lot of hand work and eyeball checking. So, opportunity to err is easy to find.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming both barrels shoot the same POI and it is not just one,it is common for double to shoot low for some as they have a tendancy to dip as the shot goes off. In addition,every shotgun ever built will shoot at a different POI for every different shooter. The butt of a shotgun stock is the rear sight.Shooting low indicates the drop at the comb and heel are too great for a particular shooter. ( Mostly the heel) I would guess the heel needs to come up about about 5/16" for the shooter that said it shot 6" low. Might be more or less for you

It is easily fixed if you don't mind the cosmetics.Cabelas sell a slip on cheek piece that as shims in it so a shooter can add or subtract stock height.I think they are about $20.You can also start adding pads of moleskin until you get it right. Typically you want a 60% shot pattern above center and 40% below, but that is a generalization and every shooter wants something to fit his/her particular needs.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.