March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I bought this on impulse recently and it is en route to me now. I bought it because I had not seen one before and it looked like an interesting little game style gun.
Its stamped nitro proof and seems to have 2 3/4 chambers. A little reserch turned up this story http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227109 It seems it is a rare thing in America. That would probably make it super rare in Australia.
Its well used, but apparently locks up nicely with a very user friendly, point-able design.

It looks much like my english game guns. Its not as tidy as the one in the link, with some damaged screws and barrels that have been scraped to remove pitting.

So is it rare? and is it worth much? I bought it as another sxs to pile into the safe, but on reading the story in the first link, this seems to be a special gun.? Thoughts?

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

$50 bucks smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

FN sxs are not common in this country, but I wouldn't call them all that rare either. I'm sure there are more of them floating around in Europe. One will pop up, every now and then, on some dealer's inventory. It has a good name, but it's not worth a lot due to the fact that it's a very basic gun (plain, unengraved) and shows a fair amount of wear--and is somewhat tampered with.

If it's factory 2 3/4", one of the proofmarks should read 12-70.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, they ae a nice gun. I have one in 16 ga. that has 2 9/16" chambers and 30" Krupp steel barrels. It has the same markings as yours on the bottom of receiver.
If yours is like mine, the hinge pin has a cover plate that is screwed on, take it off and the hinge pin is also slotted to remove easily. In the front of the receiver there is a set screw that holds the hinge pin in placve, loosen it and you can rotate it if you gun is off the face. Then just use a drill to spot another hole, replace set screw and put hinge pin cover on.

Mine also has a monte carlo stock, side clips and Greener type cross bolt. Plus it weighs 6 lbs. 1.8 oz with a Pachmayer recoil pad, which I don't care for.
How bad can that be for an inexpensive but well made gun.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one in 16 gauge too.
It is a very nice,but very plain gun.
mine has 30" barrels and weighs 5lbs 15 oz.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I couldn't really see that much of the stock, but the little I could see in photo #2 (with the hand holding POW grip) it looks as if it might have some nice figure waiting to be released from decades of dirt and grime. I hope you're planning on refinishing the stock.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

@ HomelessJoe - thanks............. I think.

@L.Brown - yes certainly plain, but hopefully handles nicely.

@JDW, thanks, when I have it I will have a look at what you describe.

@sxsman1 sounds like a nice little gun!

@Rockdoc - yes, this was a very low priced gun for me. I will have a play with it, and see what I can improve without a gunsmith.

Thanks for your help.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, be sure and check for a proofmark indicating 2 3/4" chambers before you play with it too much--or else have the chambers measured.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I traded an FN two weeks ago, straight hand stock and most of the original bluing and received $600 in trade which made me very happy! Wildwood in Maine has one listed for $250, but the stock looks like a replacement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In looking at the pictures again, yours has side clips also.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.