April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (AGS, Oberndorf, jake van dyke, graybeardtmm3, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 1,053 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,134
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello, I have just recently recieved an old muzzleloader with the name parker on each side. It is a dual hammer 12 gauge with what appears to be a belgium marking on the bottom of the barrels. The wedge and the wood all have the number 17 stamped on them. I did not think that Parker ever made a muzzleloading shotgun. It does have the lab dog with duck in mouth buttplate. It is a percussion hammer type, I would guess about 1860's vintage. The only place it says Parker is on each side of the locks. Very nice wood with some engraving but not extravagant. Anybody out there have an idea what this may be. Thanks Todd

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures would help allot. Other than that, with the barrel removed, look at the bottom of the barrels pretty close to the breech end. If the barrels are Belgium, you will see the initials ELG. These Belgium barrels will also be brazed together at the ribs instead of soldered like English barrels. As usual, the English makers were quite proud of their guns and they would put their complete name on the locks and possibly also the top barrel rib. The Belgium made guns were very good in making guns with a name on them that would lead you to think it was an English made gun. Seeing just the name Parker or Manton, usually has me thinking Belgium. Many times the Belgium made guns will also have the words "Fine London Twist" on the top rib of the barrels. Again it leads the buyers into thinking they are getting an English gun. But, with all that said, there are IMHO, so pretty good Belgium guns. They usually aren't as finely fitted or engraved and decorated, but they are good functioning guns that fed a whole generation or more of immigrants that came here. Judge the gun, not the place it was made.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely a knockoff name on what used to be known around this board as a JABK (just another Belgium klunker).

Sidelock
Sidelock

But at one time or another just about every American maker sourced barrels in Belgium. I don't know if Parker did, nor do I even know if Parker made muzzle loaders, but don't disregard an American shotgun just because it has Belgian-made barrels. Some of the good ones do. Belgian barrels do not make a gun "Belgian." You need more information to decide what yours is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Charles Parker's company never made percussion muzzleloader SxS shotguns. His company did produce percussion muskets under the name PARKER & SNOW during the American Civil War and some of the leftover barrels were used in the very early underlifter back action hammer Parkers, but these were breechloaders. There was an English gun maker by the name of Parker, but his guns would not have the ELG (Liege) proofs on the barrel flats. If yours does it is most likely Belgian.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Todd, Most likely a Belgian gun marketed by H&D Folsom 312-14 Broadway New York,N,Y, est;1859. Parker or C Parker was a 1 of more than 100 brand names used by Folsom on imported guns. Another brand name frequently seen on their guns is, "W.Richards," We see many questions on this forum regarding guns marked.W.Richards.
Post pictures to allow confirmation of the origin of your gun, in particular any proof marks.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/22/11 08:45 AM.

Roy Hebbes

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.