April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (FelixD, Dan S. W., Jolly Bill, PALUNC, SKB, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#224471 04/04/11 09:32 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend came home with a French 16 ga double barrel muzzleoader (c. 1860) the other day. It doesn't seem to have any choke but, in looking at it, I began to wonder if the concept of choke (I believe first patented by W.R. Pape in about 1866) was predicated on the widespread acceptance of breechloading in our firearms. From a practical standpoint, it might not be readily feasible to achieve a good gas seal if the wads have to be first jammed DOWN a constricted muzzle. Dunno.....

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I totally agree Gil, chokes and muzzleloaders dont mix. Ive read that the old timers built the pattern either restricted or spread into the load.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pape's original 'choke device' was a screw-on thing wasn't it?

Perfect for a front stuffing one shooter.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Black powder and tiny threads don't go too well together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeptics about m/l chokes should look into V. M. Starr's little book, "The Muzzle Loading Shotgun, It's [sic] Care and Use". The book is reproduced on several websites.

Starr was a master of the jug choke. 85% patterns at 40 yards were not unheard of.

Jug-choked muzzle loading shotgun barrels are exceptionally easy to load because the choke's constriction is relative to the choke's recess. The only "shooting problems" that jug-choked barrels routinely have that I know about are that they very often do not group round ball loads consistently and that they do not always accomodate shot bandages and one-piece plastic wads well.

I think that treblig is referring to the old adage: "Much powder, little lead; shoots fast, much spead. Little powder, much lead; shoots far, kills dead." There is a lot to this adage, and not just with muzzle loaders.

I recommend that anyone who is even remotely interested in m/l shotguns look up a copy of V. M. Starr's book. The book contains a fair amount of good information and Starr's writing hearkens back to a time and a breed of men that are now (sadly) long gone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It was Roper I was thinking of, not Pape.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=C7kAAAA...p;q&f=false

That gizmo there.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

A long time ago, I machined an aluminum block that greatly facilitated the loading of a friend's ML shotgun with choke - a modern gun the brand of which I don't remember. The block was bored, based on this gun's measurements/dimensions, such that the block slipped over the barrels aand aligned bored chambers with the muzzles. The bored chambers were cyl tapering to the choke at muzzle. Thus, the wads were easily pushed into the muzzle and were correctly aligned with the bore. This gun shot well and kicked my butt two of three years in a ML Skeet competition. Not hard to do, but requires custom machining.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I tried, for a time, to construct some tighter shooting loads for my 16 ga. Manton, but never had much luck. I knew that I could do it with plastic shot cups, but just refused to use them in a m/l.

I sure would like to know the old-timers' secrets for this. I may try to locate Starr's book, myself.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In several vintage muzzleloaders I tried everything Starr said the results just left me wondering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might make this inquiry with the guys who regularly shoot trap and skeet with muzzleloaders in the NMLRA shoots. They certainly get decent performance there. I know some only use a card over blackpowder, then shot and a thin over shot card. Others use just a thin fiber wad over the powder or a card with half a fiber wad over the powder. All of this indicates considerable experimentation to determine the best load for a specific barrel. I learned a flintlock double 16ga sure makes skeet a whole new game. Have to know ALL about follow through!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.