May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Canvasback13, riflegunbuilder), 359 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,540
Posts546,040
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221794 03/15/11 06:37 PM
RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I picked 100 lbs of reclaimed shot. Not thrilled. It is full of dust and junk. Aside from being a general mess it is clogging up the loader. Any ideas as to how I might efficiently clean it?

I understand adding some graphite powder might be advisable but Im not sure about the dosage or a source for graphite. I have some graphite powder sold as a friction reducing additive for epoxy (West System 423, left over from a boat building project). Think I should add some?

Thanks in advance.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless I am misunderstanding you, you clean the dust and junk out of the shot before you try and load it. Reclaimed needs to be screened first to capture oversize shot and debris. Then a magnet should be run through it to get out any steel that might be in the mix. You can add graphite to it and run it through a brass polisher, something to agitate the mix. Don't have to add much; a little graphite goes a long way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have seen, in the past year, reclaimed shot that was professionaly cleaned and bagged. I would not hesitate to shoot it through my 1100, 390 or Moss cannon. But my K-80's Parker's LCS ect don't need a couple of random scratches in the barrels.
Also most of it is not round or uniform in size. So shoot it at 16 yard trap, or 12 gauge skeet through a gun that has a replaceable barrel.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was given a bottle of reclaimed shot and became scared of the lead dust so I added a little lemon oil to it and it worked fine.

PDD

pittypatdugan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ryan:
In reality, there is NO economy in reclaimed shot. It is simply too much trouble and too risky to fool with. Personally, I wouldn't load the stuff or even try to shoot it through the most vile pump gun in the county.

The smart move it to melt it down into plumber's ingots or fishing sinkers.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I am on my second 55 gal drum of reclaimed shot. Bought the first one in 1988 bought the second one 2 years ago. First drum was good and clean just had to graphite it. second drum was not to bad but had to clean and graphite it. I used a cement mixer and air nozzle to clean it. Tumbled it in cement mixer with enough air flowing in to blow debris out but not the shot. Takes about 6 minutes to do 75 lbs. Add graphite and away you go. There is a company "The Lead Miner" selling 55 gal drums of reclaimed that is cleaned,polished and graphited for a buck a lb.
His lead looks like it's out of the bag.I believe when the lead leaves the barrel it's still in the wad cup. I shoot it out of my Krieghof. Thats my 2 cents. Bill

Last edited by billgrill; 03/16/11 11:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me add my voice in chorus with yours Bill. I bought 1200 pounds of the Lead Miners shot and it is as clean and shiny as new. Of course the shot has flat spots and is a mix of 7.5's and 8's.I shoot it for SC practice and Skeet. I have no qualms about shooting it through any of my guns.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Although I have not seen it available locally in some time now, I have in the past bought cleaned and bagged reclaimed shot and have used a good bit of it without problem. I have noticed, as previously noted, that it was no longer round and uniform, having a number of flat spots on the pellets. It shot a clearly wider pattern in my guns, likely due to the non uniformity of the individual pellets. I actually decided that it was beneficial to me to use it in that manner, and segregated the loads with reclaimed shot for use when I wanted a load with a wider pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

O.K., how do you get in touch with The Lead Miner?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have tried to like it, but even the clean stuff seems to oxidize more rapidly than new shot and there is always the dust and deformed shot issue. I am also concerned there may be some steel shot in the mix.

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.