April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, bsteele, coosa, 3 invisible), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: fnb25
i assume that's why at any sort of clays competition they have spotters to do nothing but keep their eyes on the target and watch for any indication of strikes.

At any major sporting clay event the trapper has the final say on whether a shot gets marked as an "X" or as a "0". The other members of the squad are also watching for breaks. However, just an indication of a hit is not justification for an "X", or "dead bird". The NSCA regulations say that there must be a visible chip, however small. Dust doesn't count, nor does the bird showing an obvious change in direction from being struck. There must be a visible chip. When I'm shooting I do not second guess the scorer, or members of my squad. Many times I have had a bird scored dead that several others saw a tiny chip come off of, but I didn't.

Yesterday while shooting in a registered event I saw a squad member's shot take the center out of the clay, without the rest of it breaking! Over untold thousands of targets I've seen shot at I've never seen that. The target had the face toward us and we all saw a big black hole appear in the orange target at the shot. Chips went out the back and were visible, but only if you were watching very closely.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The coefficient of friction on the trap's arm is the primary influence on rotation imparted to the clay target. Machines that have thrown excessive numbers of targets with the same friction material on their arms will NOT impart the same spin as when they were new. I would posit that is irrespective of the friction material used. Some are better than others, may last longer, &c, but all deteriorate eventually as a product of exposure, age, oxidation and use. Single pellet breaks are, IMHO, highly dependant on sufficient spin. The target's composition also affects thier 'breakability' as does their moisture content which can be affected by weather conditions such as temperatures and humidity levels where & how they are stored. I can side easily with Murphy on his remarks; they bear the weight of only a few tens of millions of clay targets thrown and shot at by individuals who were attempting to break them all.

On breaking a higher percentage of 'rabbits' of the sporting clays variety: Do what Churchill advocated when shooting hares from a butt; shoot the ground about 8" to a foot directly below the 'bunny', do not shoot directly at it. Obviously, that technique can only be applied when they are on the ground. Also, use #7.5 shot exclusively for rabbits only because they do not allow #6's. Many of those targets are 1/2" thick.

As an aside, purpose loaded helice ammunition before the rules were changed to 28gram loads differed from the 36gram flyer loads in that they had lower antimony content so the shot was somewhat softer and would expand on the targets [deliver more energy]and NOT penetrate as much of the flyer shot had been observed to do on some targets. I cannot speak on the newer 28gram purpose loaded ammunition.

Interesting thread & discussion, for sure!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: salopian
Rocketman / Don,
You know that I have expressed my opinions. And valuable opinions they are, too. Please stay in the discussion.
But I would never stand in the way of progress.
As you rightly said CoF is very important and to this end we need to consider that early traps both manual and automatic used rubber buffers on the throwing arm.
Modern machines now use polyfluoro or polyvinyl material as blade buffers so I would think the CoF is considerably reduced. Is it sufficiently reduced to impart a slower spin than in times past?

Also in the single pellet airgun tests are we using 0.177", 0.22" or 0.09" pellets? Various size shotgun pellets so as to have a variety of impact energies. A cleaning wad is used as the "transporter" for the pellet.

Finally is it so important to concentrate on single pellet breaks? For any given pattern, there is a significant amount of the patterns area wherein one pellet hits are quite probable. To understand the effectiveness of patterns, we must be able to predict the probability of breaks within the pattern.

Should we not be spending research time on improving effective patterns. Agree, but we must be able to define "effectiveness." To do so,we are going to have to know probability of single pellet breaks over a range of pellet size and MV. Also, multi-pellet hits. Dr. Jones has cracked open the door on this issue. We have a lot to learn.

Granted I will always accept 100 chips against 99 balls of dust but where is this one pellet break theory leading? We have to have it to know when we are making improvement. What is longest known run of clay targets? Now, consider the longest runs of moving targets (say, thrown wooden blocks) with a .22 rifle. The .22 rifle is a single pellet hit or a miss. It would appear that allowable aiming error for very long runs is within the reach of some. Can it be that long runs are actually limited by the probability of failure to break from some number (1? 2? ---) of hits catching up with the shooter?

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/13/11 10:46 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not too sure where it came from but at the back of my mind I have the guidance figure of 3 - 4 pellets of sufficient energy as a guide to reliable breaks.
When I am assessing a pattern quality this is the pattern density I look for - but this is purely anecdotal. The dome of an edge on target is obviously a tougher structure to break than the thin underbelly of an overhead target as any trap shooter will testify - hence the need for bigger - higher energy pellets. So what is the relevance of single pellet strike performance – unless it is to test batch to batch consistency of the clay targets. I know we are always grateful for the odd single pellet break but I don't think we should be using this as the standard. How you set up a test rig for a 3 or 4 pellet strike at 30 yards I am not to sure - it would need a bit of thinking about!!
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, I'd say the failure rate is considerably lower hitting anything with a single .22 than a single shotgun pellet. Significant difference in energy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm still not clear on the purpose of the research. Surely, no hunter or top classed competition shooter is interested in one pellet hits. Don does bring up an interesting point, though, if I read him correctly. Does a competition shooter on a long run of hundreds of targets have to worry about factors other than not being "on the target"? I think that may be exactly the case. A skeet shooter who has broken 1242 straight is just as likely to have that run broken by a slightly defective load than by "missing the bird". At least that is my opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone who has patterned a shotgun will know that the distribution is not perfectly even. Murphy’s law states that if it can happen it eventually will happed - or something like that - so if a hole in the pattern can happen it eventually will. Well it happens to me all the time!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Me too! Alas, I am sure my patterns are full of very big holes!

(But when I get them with the "hole-less" part of the pattern, they go down like the proverbial rock). (Talking about birds here, not clays).

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Farmer, thank you for clarifying what I was trying to say. 1242 straight skeet birds is not only good shooting, it is beating the law of averages for defective ammunition or defective patterns. Of course, a guy who can shoot like that will not bring up that possibility when discussing his miss. He will take it like a man.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Oldfarmer
I am not too sure where it came from but at the back of my mind I have the guidance figure of 3 - 4 pellets of sufficient energy as a guide to reliable breaks. An oft repeated "statistic" and one backed with little hard evidence.

When I am assessing a pattern quality this is the pattern density I look for - but this is purely anecdotal. I know what you are saying as I have done the same. However, when you look at a statistically significant sample of patterns (say, 10 for any given set of factors) with real analysis capable of predicting the probability of various numbers of pellet hits at various pattern radii and various clay orientation you will find that you need an incrediably dense pattern. The alternative is to recognize that targets are getting broken by fewer than 3-4 pellet hits. And, that begs the question of, "What is the probability of one pellet hits yielding breaks?"

The dome of an edge on target is obviously a tougher structure to break than the thin underbelly of an overhead target as any trap shooter will testify - hence the need for bigger - higher energy pellets. Maybe yes, maybe no. We need some research on this. The dome may/seems to be soft enough for penetration without fracture.

So what is the relevance of single pellet strike performance – unless it is to test batch to batch consistency of the clay targets. I know we are always grateful for the odd single pellet break but I don't think we should be using this as the standard. No, but we do need to understand the role of single pellet breaks in scores. If we can understand it, we may be able to recommend differing loads for improving scores.

How you set up a test rig for a 3 or 4 pellet strike at 30 yards I am not to sure - it would need a bit of thinking about!! Glad to have you thinking about such testing.

John

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.