May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, Dale May, Lloyd3, Mark II, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,075 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,523
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I just got in a very high grade english double that was partially disassembled The gun is a CS Rossen and Son from Norwich. It is an Anson and Deeley action. I guess they were going to retip the firing pin so when the gun came to me I could see the firing pin and bushing were missing. Upon further inspection, the gun is missing one hammer and spring, both sears and of course the firing pin and bushing. I dont have a mill but I can whittle out a hammer and spring with a hacksaw and file but since there are no sears to pattern from i'm not sure how to go about that. Is there a source for "blanks" or generic A&D parts that I can fit to this gun? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rosson used a propriety self opening system in his guns-you may be missing more than you know. You are perhaps five years too late to discuss your needs with the late Alfred Galifant, who built his one-off guns on the Rossen patent.
One of the Brits who post here regularly should be along to offer up at least condolences-a Rossen is a fine gun. Good Luck.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you say bushing, do you mean that the gun has disc set strikers? If so they can be tuned up but it is essential to get the tread size right. As to the sears ,there are several variations on a theme here. Unless you are familier with English doubles of the period,you could spend a lot of time messing about. You need to see a similar gun to look at the searsand then make your new ones along the same lines ,but bearing in mind that the lenghts and sets may differ.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The history of Charles Stanley Rosson (Charles III) prior to his move to Norwich is recounted in the history of his father, Charles Rosson (Charles (II)) of 4 Market Place , Derby, and that of his grandfather, Charles Rosson (Charles (I)) of 56 Hatchett Street, Birmingham.

In 1905 Charles (II) bought the business of Edwin Wilson at 13 Rampant Horse Street, Norwich, Norfolk, and sent his younger son, Charles (III) to run it. Charles (II) then retired. However, for many years, the Norwich establishment sold guns under the Derby address.

In 1913 Percy Rosson and Charles III patented a single trigger and safety catch (No. 4883).

Charles (II) died on 8 August 1914, Percy inherited the Derby business and Charles (III) inherited the Norwich business which changed its name from Charles Rosson to C S Rosson & Co.

In 1931 Charles (III) patented a sliding top lever (No. 360608) which was used with Edwin V Smith's easy opening action. At this time the firm's guns were made in Birmingham by Edwin V Smith, Skimmin & Wood, and Joseph Curry amongst others.

In 1942 the premises at 13 Rampant Horse Street were bombed and all the records were destroyed. The firm moved to 427 Unthank Road and then in about 1946 to White Lion Street.

From 1946 the firm was managed by Gallyon & Sons from the Kings Lynn branch. In 1947 the Rosson family took back control, R J B Mills appears to have been the actual manager of the business at that time (he died in 1953). Charles (III) died on 20 January 1950, presumably the firm remained in family ownership and was managed for them.

In the early 1950s the firm became a limited company, C S Rosson & Co Ltd, and moved to 7 Bedford Street. At about this time the company had guns made for them by S Wright & Sons of Birmingham (in 1954 Fred Wright left the firm to join Grant & Lang as a jobber, stripper and finisher).

In 1953 the firm, by then one of the largest provincial cartridge makers, formed a new company with Charles Hellis & Sons Ltd to make cartridges. Hellis had been one of, if not the largest, cartridge maker in London. Hellis Rosson Ltd was not a success and they ceased to trade in 1956 (see Charles Hellis and Hellis & Rosson).

On 1 May 1965 the firm of C S Rosson was sold to Gallyon & Sons Ltd, they moved their head office to the Rosson premises at 7 Bedford Street.

So you will need to date the gun, then find a similiar gun of that date.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking Nial Mac either had, or has, a Rossen boxlock-I remember he had a bit of mischief with it, the exact nature of which escapes me at the moment. Hopefully he sees this and chimes in.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most similar Birmingham made guns of the period will give you an idea. Unless it is something out of the ordinary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM, if you got that info from Internetgunclub then quite a bit of it is down to research that I did a while back. My main interest was Charles Rosson, the father, as I live near Derby. The other brother was Percy James Rosson, who ran the Derby shop, and the two brothers had a fall out, probably over dad's will, and neither would acknowledge the exsitance of the other. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
PeteM, if you got that info from Internetgunclub then quite a bit of it is down to research that I did a while back. My main interest was Charles Rosson, the father, as I live near Derby. The other brother was Percy James Rosson, who ran the Derby shop, and the two brothers had a fall out, probably over dad's will, and neither would acknowledge the exsitance of the other. Lagopus.....

Yes, that is where I pulled it. I had to edit it. Some of it was full of assumptions with little data.

I was hoping you would jump on this.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi there Jon. I have a Rosson easy opener and I know it's insides as I rejointed it several years ago. It was a pleasure working on such a lovely piece of machinery.
Your problem is that Rosson built guns on the standard A&D action as well as the Smith easy opener action. BTW, they also built sidelocks. So you will have to describe more precisely what you have. A photo of the outside would show all. Failing that, can you say whether there are screw heads visible on the action bar? Making firing pin bushings is possible, more particularly since you already have one. On second thoughts, this gun is banjaxed. Send it to me, I may be able to pay a modest sum for it as a "parts gun".
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just the guy I was looking for...Thanks, Nial.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.