March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RHD45 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a couple of small boxes of ivory scraps,I think some of it is mastadon ivory,and would like to do something with it. Does anyone know a book on carving ivory or anything about carving it? The pieces are anywhere from 1/2"x1"x1/4" to 3"x1"x3/8." I think it could be used for inlay or sight beads. It came from the estate of Russel Anton, the stockmaker from Waterloo,Iowa.Might be willing to trade it off or donate some of it to some deserving forum member.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few books on scrimshanding and ivory carving, given to me by The Infamous Engraver (Ben Shelor), and I'll be happy to lend them to you for some splendid ideas and inspiration. Possibilities are limited only by your own imagination and artistic ability!

If you become interested in carving then I'll be happy to show you my tools and technique. There are many approaches to this art and I suggest that you experiment with different cutting tools and carving techniques to find the method that suits you best. Like Paul Simon says in the song, there are indeed fifty ways.....(to do the work, in this case, grin).

Some ideas include knobs on the covers in cased sets, thumb plates on M/L rifles, bead sights, side plates for Sharps Borchardts, initial plates, knife scales & scale inserts, handles for small items as well as a multiplicity of jewelry items such as earrings, pendants, bracelets, inserts and even netsuke if you have some larger pieces.

I've done some ivory skeleton grip cap inserts but am still working on the design(s) to make them appear less gaudy. When used on a rifle the light ivory color seems to absolutely resonate with gaudy poor taste unless toned down a bit.

There are laws limiting sales of elephant and whale ivory and there's a lot of misinformation about it, so I suggest caution. Small scrap pieces such as yours are not usually any problem at all unless you try to sell it in quantity. Please be advised that all fossil ivory is more difficult to carve and finish than elephant ivory, and hippo ivory is as hard as woodpecker lips!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

A buddy of mine works part time with a famous ivory carver (Wurther or Werther?) in Ohio, and slips me some scraps now and then. Yes, the regulations governing the sale and transfer of elephant ivory are draconian, but not insurmountable. Laterly he sent me a gallon zip-loc bag full of ivory dust (They evidently scrap nothing when working it, plus a pretty sophisticated dust collection system is employed for health reasons.) I've been meaning to try using epoxy as a matrix and seeing what can be fashioned out of the result. Anybody ever try this?

RHD45 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I saw a collection of netsuke and was impressed with the carving of it.I have a pretty complete collection of carving tools,2 foredoms,2 dremels,70 odd carving chisels and engraving tools but wonder how do you hold something as small as some of these pieces.I googled it and see that there are a couple of places selling various ivories too.If you want some of this I will send you a box as I am never going to get into it. I have enough projects. I might make some escutcheons for a dresser drawer or a dot inlay or two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boone Trading Company in Wasington State (www.boonetradingcompany.com) may be helpful as a source of books and instructions. They specialize in horn and ivory sales.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boone is a good source.

The dust is used along with some sort of epoxy to make what has become known as 'Texas ivory'. Apparently some vegetable products such as cabbage are also used to make 'ivory' in this way, according to gun show urban legend.

Thanks for the offer, I'm always looking for more scraps, will PM you about lending you my books. You will be pleasantly surprised by some of the truly beautiful creations.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

I inherited some old hippo ivory when I moved into my first lab. Pretty brittle stuff, but I saved it for???? Anyone that needs some scraps I have nothing to do with them.

I also have some warthog tusks. Their tusks are probably the best ivory you can get. It is much more durable than most (or so I'm told). You can also get warthog trinkets like bottle openers and corkscrews made with it, so for $10, you are in business. But most easily found in Africa, not Alabama.

Chances are good you can find some elk ivories, either as winter kills or on ebay. They tend to be a bit yellower though.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hippo ivory is hard as nails. I had a couple of guitar picks made out of it. Worked nice, right up 'til when I lost them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes it is. Hard and brittle. This stuff shattered on itself as it dried out. What it was doing there in the first place, I'll never know.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ivory will dry out & crack & delaminate if not kept in some sort of oily environment, at least a minimal amount. I use a small amount of baby oil with the ivory, stored inside a plastic ziploc freezer bag. Items made of ivory that are actually handled with the bare hands are usually OK if handled fairly regularly, at least several times a year. Otherwise expect checking and cracking unless lightly smeared with baby oil once a year.
Regards, Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.