March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 834 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215206 01/28/11 08:37 PM
larryguy
Unregistered
larryguy
Unregistered

I am in the process of purchasing a Thomas Wild hammergun - a wildfowler. I am told that Wild is still in business but I have not found any contact information - I'd like to date my gun through the serial number.

If anyone on the board has contact information it would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone has a Wild shotgun I would like your comments/observations. This gun is proofed for 3" shells and while somewhat plain, seems to be of good build quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had two and they are very well made .

Boxlock
Boxlock

My Wild gun is marked T.Wild,Whittall Street,Birmingham.It is a .12 bore w/28" barrels and weighs 6 lbs 9 oz.It is proofed at 3 tons,2 1/2" chambers opened to 2 3/4" and re proofed in Birmingham.I shoot low pressure (6500 psi) loads in it in 50 bird events several times a year and it handles very well.I probably put 700 +/- minus rounds through it a year as I have 1/2 dozen English sxs's and shoot them all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sling the serial up or PM me and I'll take a look at the books for a date.

Sidelock
Sidelock

THe name is still owned . Weather you cvould say the company was in buisness in any real sense I dont know .I'll ask.

Sidelock
Sidelock

THe name is still owned . Weather you cvould say the company was in buisness in any real sense I dont know .I'll ask.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think a Barry King (from memory) owned the name and records I think he has now retired I have a nice plain BLNE which only has T Wild written on the barrels no marking on the action mine was built in the 1930's ( I did get a letter for it but will have to look it up)

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are two Birmingham makers by the name of Wild.
Bejamin Wild is still in business on Price Street,Birmingham. I believe their business is presently limited to barrel blacking and repairs.Thomas Wild,s name may have been aquired by others. Boothroyd give a Price Street address for Thomas circa 1989. My understanding is there is no direct connection between Benjamin and Thomas Wild.The Thomas Wild records may exist,location unknown. There is however a strong possibility that the records were destroyed in the blitz of Birmingham in W.W.2

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Definatly no connection between T wild and B Wild. Thomas Wild however was however tied to Rowland Watson. Barry King was at one time the owner of the name, but I was under the imperssion that he had since sold it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The records for Thomas Wild are pretty well intact. Barry King did own them but since his retirement I don't know who has them now. Benjamin Wild is still in business and was in the same block of buildings as Barry. I would guess that they will know who has them. As all the workers in New Buildings are contantly in and out of one another's places someone there will have the answer. Lagopus.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.