Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Folks,

I posted this same question on another site, this site had a delayed approval for membership and I was impatient....

Some of my internet searches have led me to this site on previous guns. I have a few sxs and U/O shotguns and one mossberg bolt action maverick.

The SXS's incluse an Armitalia de Luccini, a Crawford and a Diamond (all hammer guns) and a Stevens (hammerless) U/O's include my primary trap gun a Browning GP Trap, a Beretta sliver pigeon bought for my partner to use for Trap shooting and a Boito that was my "see if I like the sport" trap gun.

I am in the process of purchasing a new WW Greener SXS and I have the right of refusal if it doesn't meet my expectations.

I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on the authenticity of the gun (I know there were knock off Belgium greeners) and any other details.

I am unclear on the "right" markings but the seller has sent me the following pictures.

I am reasonably convinced it is a Greener and not a copy, but I was hoping to find out more about the grade, approximate era etc.. I am also unclear if its fit for modern shells or not. I can make out the elephants, and the England stamp, but thats where I run out of ideas.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun illustrated is a low grade Greener 12 Bore likely Grade D10.[A 10 guinea gun as compared to 150 guineas for their best gun] The proof marks are Birmingham black Powder in use upto 1904. The barrels are damascus and are bored 13 bore which means to be in proof they must not measure greater than .719 inches in diameter checked 9 inches from the breech. The chamber length is likely 2.5 inches but the proof mark is valid upto 3.0 inches.Both barrels have some degree of choke.The Elephant trade mark is found on genuine Greener guns.
The name Edwards is likely an owners/sellers name and has no relevance to proof.
If you care to provide the serial # the date of manufacture and exact grade can likely be determined.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 01/04/11 08:40 AM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yup, it's a Greener. It will be up to you to measure the barrels and determine the condition. The gun has many miles on it and must be carefully evaluated before purchase.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to me like what I've heard called a Greener Forester model; a low grade "keeper's gun". The marks on the barrel flats are all English though, so I don't think its any sort of 'knock-off'...Geo

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of the above advice is right on. As an aside, the elephant trade mark came about in the late 1800's when William Wellington Greener was called upon to dispatch a circus elephant that had escaped and was running amuck through the streets of London.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with the lads above.
Strange engraving though,eh? Kinda looks like Chequering or stippling,I am sure I have seen it on another Greener somewhere,perhaps in the Greener Book, I will look through mine & see if its there.
Make sure you get the Gun looked over, especially the tubes.
I don't think WW made any junk, even in the plain Grades,prolly a good solid Gun, if still in good order.Wood is pretty good for a low end
Good luck with it
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

It appears to be a Greener D10 Anson & Deeley actioned non ejecter with " Machine Engraving " on the action slides. A strong, robust gun with good potential IF in good shape.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's lower grade...looks to be in fair shape. Don't get over your head in it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An off-topic question: is the un-checkered wood common?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is pre-1887, and I think it is, the 13 stamping would cover the bore size at 9" from the breech,being in proof,up to
.729 Your biggest concerns are bore condition and barrel wall thickness and whether barrel length and choke have been altered.
Fin, the wood looks refinished and if the original checkering was almost worn smooth, which happens, the re-finish probably took care of the rest.... It looks like some of the upper border is still left.
The metal on the action looks pretty proud....

Last edited by Terry Lubzinski; 01/05/11 03:30 AM.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.