April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, Drew Hause, skeettx), 529 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,095
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve

Thanks for your comments.
I have a nice solution of boiled linseed oil with Alkanet Root that I have been fiddling with at the shop. Mr Wiebe was my source for this batch of Alkanet Root, from a few years ago. Only recently have I finally set it up as a stock oil. I see what you mean about using it right away. It looked pretty luscious the first day - it's been together for weeks now. I've been treating a slice of an old buttstock from the scrap basket. A little dab each day, rubbed into the surface then later wiped down etc.
This past week I've gone to wet sanding a wee bit with the oil and 400 wet/dry sandpaper.
It's looking quite nice.

In a week or so I'll start on finishing a rifle stock for myself with this potion.

The slackum oil, with the caranuba wax - the recipe calls for a small bit of Venice Turpentine. I looked it up on the web and learned it is a hoof treatment, having antiseptic qualities. Interesting.
Have you used anything similar to this slackum recipe with the caranuba wax?

Again I appreciate your comments
Cheers

Sidelock
Sidelock

My latest acquisition:

I believe alkanet root was involved here.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/10/18 09:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's pretty, Lloyd. Good lines. I really like iron mounted rifles. Didn't it arrive ahead of schedule?

They may have used alkanet root, but that's not a traditional stain used on American m/ls. It looks a lot like Homer Dangler's stain to me. Photos are hard to go by tho'.

More pics soon?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Neat rifle Lloyd!

Lefty flinter too.
Shot it yet?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The rifle arrived in Colorado after I'd left for Minnesota so I've neither seen it nor shot it, sadly. The way the weather is going up here, it's my loss. The photography is what was sent to me before it was shipped. I ordered it last January and sold a number of items (fly rods, reels, pistols, etc.) to finance it so...I'm hoping it was worth it.

I'm hoping for long (14 1/2 LOP, 42 inch barrel), light (#1 profile in .45) and lovely.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 10/10/18 11:49 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hi John,
I tried slackum oil with caranuba and Venice terp. I must have not done something right with it. It end up a waxy, oily concoction that smelled great but never really dried. I need to try again. I still have most of the ingredients. My Venice terp went bad. Really interesting stuff.

Nice looking rifle Lloyd. Enjoy it in good health!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 32 of 32 1 2 30 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.