Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not long ag someone posted a site in Canada where Alkanet root could be bought rather inexpensively. If anyone has that info, please repost. Thanks,

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a site that's selling alkanet root. From the Garden State though, not Canada.
http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/317369.0/CategoryID/1000.0/SubCatID/25.0/file.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Yeti. I also found the Canadian site: http://www.wellnaturally.ca/herba-b.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

and one more place:

http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/GreenCanyon/questc101264/r07

Hey Dig, can you give us the recipe for the "real thing"? I'm always interested in such concotions, and I have a stock to finish in the not so distant future.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Gordon, the Deft product I referred to is identified as DEFTOIL, and "danish oil finish" on the quart can. The Minwax antique oil is usually available around here. Suggest trying woodworker's specialty stores or catalogs if you're having trouble finding either one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dig,
What do YOU call a 'rubbed ENGLISH oil finish'
bear in mind it seems to vary dependant on drying time!!!!!
Your interpretation would be valued, as BrentD said, please do share your knowledge with us and let us move away from Tru-oil and Tung oil finishes.

Dig Offline

The oil is sometimes known in the trade as 'slacum' and it is a mixture of a number of ingrdients, recipes vary a little but it is basically turpentine and linseed oil.

Here is one recipe if you want to make it yourself:

Boiled linseed oil – 16 oz
Spirits of turpentine – 2 oz
Carnauba wax – 200 gr
Venice turpentine - 2 teaspoonfuls
Mix together and heat until it simmers. Simmer for ten minutes then allow to cool.
Be careful it does not catch fire -!!!!

However, Napier produces a ready-mixed formula in a neat little box with all the odds and ends to get you started. These kits are available at gun shops and save a lot of mess and smell. I find the Napier bottled oil works very well if used properly.

First prepare the wood - as with any job, the preparation will govern the finished result, so go back to the bare wood, restore the shapes and angles if need be and raise or fill any dents or gouges.

Apply red-oil (turpentine & bolied linseed oil in which alkanet root has been steeped.

When the colour is right, it depends on the wood how many coats this will take.Apply two coats of finishing oil with the palm of the hand sparingly – it will be absorbed. Remove any excess gently with fine wire wool, buff with a lint-free cloth (not a woven one) and then leave for two days before you apply a clear grain-filler, allow it to dry thoroughly and then rub it gently with fine wire wool.

Now begin the finish – this must be built up gradually in VERY thin layers. Rub the finishing oil in with the palm; use half as much as the minimum you think necessary. Do not leave any sticky residue on the wood, rub the oil into the wood until you feel it get hot in your hand. Leave a day between each coat and expect the process to take four or five weeks before it is finished. The results are surprising and pleasing, making all that work worthwhile.

Don't be afraid to cut the finish back with a little oil on a pad of fine wire woolwhen necessary - even half way throuh the process. This will ensure that the finish is smooth and it flattens out any indents where the grain may show. You want the finish to be smooth, flat and even.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I Googled and found the Napier kit at Cheaper Than Dirt for $29 for anyone thats interested

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Gunny, that was going to be my next question. I know my gun shops don't carry anything other than the commonest stuff.

And I forgot to add, THANKS a bunch for your follow up post Dig.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Caveot Emptor,Napier whilst being an EXCELLANT product, I believe, is NOT a traditional oil finish.What it is, is a modified finish that dries very quickly and gives as standard a very high gloss finish.The kit that Dig mentions contains most of the items required to do a good refinish.
Remember, as I have said many times before on this subject.It is very hard to bottle 100 years of TLC, sweat and care for your piece of wood, which is exactly what as been lavished on the Purdey you are trying to copy.
Alkanet (anchusa officinalis, anchusa tincturia) a European weed. Take about 70grms of beaten / crushed root, immerse in 100ml of pure turpentine for about 4 weeks in a sealed jar then add 100ml of linseed oil and reseal leave for another 3 / 4 weeks and then use as required.
You could also use a potassium permanganate solution of water which will soak much deeper into the wood (and of course raise the grain. AGAIN )this will impart a nice colour which you do have some control over, but remember the addition of successive oil coats will darken the wood progressively so do beware.
Have a snigger at my expense over the following anecdote.
About 10 years ago I had to refinish 10 of No4 Enfield rifles, I lavished about 3 coats of colour to the beautiful smooth wood and then numerous coats of linseed end result = fantastic dark mahogany coloured woodwork FAR too dark to conform with MILSPEC, a BIG NO NO. Result = A very very happy Colonel who's 'Boys' had better rifles than the rest, my boss received a letter of commendation and I got all the Officers shotguns to refurbish and I got paid to do it fulltime rather than as 'just a little favour'
I had plenty of driven days for about 3 years until the Colonel got a posting.

Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.