March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jim H., jcn, Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32
Sidelock
Sidelock

Salo, this globalization thing is a bit confusing, I'm pretty sure I live in small European country on the east coast of the United States.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Talking of Stock Colour....I have at the back of my finishing bench a shelf that has many bottles&jars,there are names that you can just maks out through the layers of "Goop", in fact one says'Mantons stock Goop'It came into my collection of old"Stuff' from my 'Old Gaffer" from my years at'Irongate Wharf Road' Bill O'Brien never let anybody throw anything away!Tom Purdey knew this,as did Harry lawrence! I guess thats where I'Picked up the Habit"I even had all my "Old Stuff" shipped over to Chicago in April 1964. Bottles & Jars,Full of 'Highly Flammable,highly Toxic very Explosive(3 of mypowder-Flasks filled with 3&2'F'Black Powder!!I think the"Old Tub"that floated my "Tea-Chests" crammed with 'Highly Collectable Stuff" had survived many crossings of 'The Pond" during the"BigOne"!!!!Some of these Jars I've not managed to open,several broke when we tried to'Soften' the Goop'Holding the cap or wood plug(stopper)A couple had names of long gone Finishers from Purdeys. There are Photos of several of these'Long forgotten Craftsmen"in Don Dallas's PURDEYS 'Big Red Book",Harry Lawrence gave Myself & Brian Sorrell(Appr. to Harold Delay,Stocker who stocked 99% of all the O/U guns)Gave us the job of sorting out all the Old Stuff from the store room that had been moved to No2 Irongate from the North Row workshops 1899-1900.One of the bottles did have'Dragons Blood" written on its label!!! I used the goop after thinning it quite a lot I had restocked a Parker BHE with a blank from Flaigs,PA. it had the really deep, dark "Red'color. I managed to'Finish' 5-6 stock& forends,1 Purdey,3 Krieghoff PigeonO/U 12b.A 3 bbl Rem mod 32with 3 forends then I knocked the jar on to concrete floor,this was in Melbourne,Fla."All Gone" bye..Never did know what it was made-up with. Have made up Concoctions' since with my good friend Lou Taxiarcus,He made some oil finishes with the stain blended into the oil,very nice colour filled the 'Pores' just like a'New London Gun'Paul Hodgins,Utah,Formerly of Hollands has mastered the art of ;Hand-rubbed oil finishing.My "Bud" in Danbury Conn.See the Latest Shooting Sportsman for a Feature Story:Abe Chaber, Stockmaker, Gunsmith'Extrordinaire' His staining of stocks and oil finishing is of the 'Highest Quality'(BUT donot ask him what he uses for 'Stain'!)I have found this 'thread' very interesting, ..crossedchisles...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to agree with you Shropshireman, but dissent is now construed as treason here. It's bad enough we're talking about a red dye.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always said what I thought, sorry if I have offended anyone.
Back to the original thread, Yogi asked how to make Alkanet root oil.
Then we went to blood red colour and then to Behlen, which sounds good.Then Dave gave us some pearls of wisdom and his comments above made me chuckle.X Chisels do us war babes never throw anything away? It's the rationing that causes it you know.Well I've got gallons of the stuff, litres, pints, gills, quarts, bloody hell if I had a fire I would double global warming overnight.I have used Coloron and Blackfriars stains and they work very well,Ronnie Rustin knows his stuff, but one of the best for colour I used is Punch shoe leather dye.As for how long stains last and work? I have got a gallon of (make not known) mahogany red dated 1964 and used it on Monday September 11th 2006, wood looked pleasing this morning.

SDH Offline

Is this red enough?

Behlen's American walnut stain, Daly's marine finishes, lots of work.
SDH

SDH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I have always said what I thought, sorry if I have offended anyone.
You're okay with me, friend, and the knowledge you bring to the board is very much appreciated. That goes for the other English guys as well. I think I need a Crossed Chisels Lexicon, though. Are they in print anywhere?

Sidelock
Sidelock

NICE PHOTOGRAPH SDH! Is it Digital or 35mm print? Nice balance with your lighting also.Is the Iron work Italian and your Stocking??? I have a Client from France who is Shure eet ees a French built shotgun' That is a nice London Red'you've made the 'Wood'...dt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian,I went back to 8/26,Glad to hear that Reg Wallin is well. For the Gent from Anchorage,AK. Yes it was Reg and his late partner Bob Wallin that Re-built both the'Bastardized' Sidlocks on the Purdey I re-stocked for you.WHAAT...1991..Naah me ole cocker,aint that bledin long errgo....Ken Hunt add airr back then!!!Wonder if anyone on this G/S/site Remembers Nubs Fashingbauer,Lac Du Flambau, Wisconsin(Scuse Spellin of Indian Names) Nubs was a Top Notch' Stocker.I worked on several 'Jobs' with him 1967-70.He gave me a little jar of 'RED STUFF"to put into my 'Stock-oil'Really did the 'Trick',so much so I took some back to my Alma Mater on South Audley Street and Harry Lawrence mixed it into some linseed oil, and 'Yes' it was a perfect match to the Alkanet Root colour! Nuff Said!!!!Didnot know just what the 'RedStuff' was till my Friend Lou T. who was reading this thread on alkanet this AM. said the small container he gave me some time ago was OIL RED'O'. A dye used to colour Gasoline in the Military, Years ago!!!And thats whats in the Fahingbauer jar!Deadly stuff to get on the Skin, stays for days..weeks!Looks great on Walnut..I restocked a Shoulder-Stock for a Colt Navy 1851 years ago, Matched the original colt grips colour 100% Since saw the 'All Original Set'go under the scrutiny of a panel of 'Experts' prior to a change of ownership...I dont think any eyebrows were raised at all!!..I was led to belive by a Antique's Expert(now polishing granite from the under-side in a London cemetery)He had done his time as finisher at a couple of the Named Gunmakers' that Both John& Joe Manton used the Filings from old railway'Rails'left in Vinegar for a great period,being agitated often,(Friday was 'Cod& 6 pennyworth day) and after 3 pints of "Best",I'm sure some of the contents from the Jar got sprinkeled over the Cod & Chips!!Xchisel.

xchisels, while I'm only able to cypher part of your post (I'm fuctionally illiterate), I did see, as in a previous post of yours, referance to the Mantons useing vinegar stain. I find this quite interesting. My understanding is that vinegar stain uses the same basic concept as aquafortis (nitric acid) to color wood. That being, iron is disolved in the acid making the liquid laden with iron molecules. These molecules are carried into the wood with the liquid, the liquid evaporates out leaving the iron in the wood and when the wood is heated, the iron molecules oxidize turning them reddish brown. The only real difference between useing vinegar and nitric is that vinegar is weaker/safer but takes a long time to disolve the iron. Now, the reason I find the refference to the Mantons puzzleing is that aquafortis and vinigar stain are used for maple and not on walnut as the stain will react with the tannin in walnut and turn it black. So, either I'm missing something here (Likely), or the mantons stocked enough guns in maple to warrent mention of the stain they used. OTOH, vinegar is a weaker stain than AF and perhaps it doesn't react to the tannin in walnut as vigorously as AF would and hence the reason for useing vinegar rather than AF in the first place. Hmmmm.

Cody

Tact is for those not clever enough to be sarcastic
Sidelock
Sidelock

The madder root is a pain to get the colour out off though as you need to boil and do other things to it to get colour out off it and in the end it's water stain.No matter how long you leave it in spirits the colour won't come out off it.
The one I've not seen mentioned yet is cochineal the beetle. That gives a very nice red though in my experience. I've only used the food colouring stuff that you buy in the supermarket, yes contains water but mix it in with meths 1/5 ratio.

Page 17 of 32 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.