April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, 67galaxie, LeFusil, 4 invisible), 1,012 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,106
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Found an online video of show I saw.

It is not the full length, just the highlights but still not for the faint of bandwidth.

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoaftMYP.html

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Jim, the barrel thing does not work in French.

Perhaps it does - or did. In French, baril has been a term for a barrel since the early days when guns were made with "barrels." And barillet is still French for the cylinder of a revolver, the diminutive suggesting that baril may at some time past have been a French term for gun barrel.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jamie is still trying to find his ball! :-)

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW Jim, the name thing does not work in Spanish (cañón vs. barril) nor in German (lauf vs. barrel).

JC(AL)

Last edited by JayCee; 01/20/07 12:37 PM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I read once that the term "son of a gun" derived from the old (probably British) navy, when exceedingly friendly women were at times allowed to live below decks while a warship was in port. Of course, heavy cannon were very much a part of the furniture, and the sailors were at ease on and around them. In this environment, so many youngsters were conceived atop a 24-pounder that the term "son of a gun" came to describe them. As with most slang, the original, highly "colorful" meaning has nearly been lost, and society has adopted the term as a safe replacement for less acceptable phrases. How many times had I said "Well I'll be a son of a gun"! before I'd ever heard that story? TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought it came from the term 'shotgun wedding'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

TT:

Version I heard the little "gunners" were conceived during perfectly respectable conjugal visits in lieu of shore liberty. Don't know how "respectable it got tween decks and afore mast in the RN; probably pretty Falstaffian.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I thought you were a "sonofagun" if your "pappy was a pistol". I had some trouble trying to prove anything using the Babel Fish transation site. However the box my Beretta came in calls it a "canna" or "canne". The word "cannon", in English, likely came from this origin, as well. Cannon being the augmentative(larger) form of canna or canne, which some in those countries used for barrel, as we use it.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
However the box my Beretta came in calls it a "canna" or "canne".

I'm about to enjoy a nice cup of tea and a cannoli, an Italian pastry in the shape of a tube and filled with sweet cream.

My grandmothers special holiday dish was cannelloni, tubular pasta filled with cheese and baked.

Both of which stem from the Latin cannula, a diminutive form of the Latin word canna, a family of plants with hollow tubular stem, cane or bamboo.

Finally got to use those 3 years of Latin.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to a recent show on the discovery channel, (good work james) the Chinese did invent gunpowder but it wasn't for guns. It was invented for firecrackers. So back then they might have called it something different?? How about BAA-SHING!!! Get it? Beishing? ROTFLOL!! Gosh I crack myself up!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.