May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 739 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,853
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD,

The guns were purchased by a Chinese man living in China. He ordered them from H&H in London and they were shipped to him in China. He bought three, kept one and gave the other two to his brothers. Later, he and one of his brothers immigrated to the U.S. and brought their guns with them. I bought my gun from the grandson of the original owner.

I hope there will be a Double Gun article someday. Part of the history of the gun I had was that it was siezed by the Japanese during the war. Later, after the Japanese were defeated, the original owner was able to get it back.

RB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a Premier, but . . .

This a Scott "Pigeon Gun Club" gun made in 1891 with 30" Whitworth steel barrels. If only it were a London-made gun, then at least they would have upgraded the wood.

Last edited by Ken Georgi; 01/20/07 06:38 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow - very nice. Is it marked "Pigeon Club Gun" on the rib or bbls?

On the other side of the action, is their a screw slot for the hinge pin?

And does it have the adjustable lump feature?

Thanks

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/20/07 11:28 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being another Scott addict and dedicated marsh rat, I thought I would add my Circa 1895 Scott 10 SLE to the thread.32"x 3 1/2"
nitro damascus.8 3/4 lbs. Handles 1 1/2oz. of bismuth #2's extremely well.The gun appears to be about Monte Carlo B quality. Like Ken I can't stand the crappy wood Scott used on their high grade guns

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

HomelessJoe asked: "OWD If it was made as a "true left handed gun" wouldn't the triggers be set up for a left handed shooter with the chokes reversed ? (I know the triggers could've be reversed)"

Joe, I shoot from the left shoulder and I believe that the front trigger being on the right side is one of those freaks of history. It is MUCH easier for a left hander to shoot standard double triggers. Think about it. A right hander has to pull the front trigger then disengage and get inside that trigger to the back one. A lefty simply has to let his finger slip to the rear.
Look at many (if not most) standard double trigger guns. The back trigger is bent to the right to make it easier for a right hander to get to it.
The real funny question is why double guns developed with the right/front trigger for the open choke. I have read that some of the early manufacturers and designers felt that the recoil of the first barrel was better to the outside.
Whatever the reason, it is one of those funny freaks of history that make double triggers set up for the masses easier for leftys.
I would love someone with more knowledge about this than me to respond. Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well! Here we go again. Everyone please note the the crossbolt is protruding from the left side of the standing breech on the above gun while it protrudes from the right side on mine pictured back several pages (Page 2?). Also note that the above gun is from around 1895 while mine is 3 years newer from 1898. I too bemoan the crappy choice of wood Scott selected. Maybe their blanks were Purdey rejects!!
Again mine is choked more open(about modified) in the right barrel and the triggers are traditionally positioned.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 01/20/07 11:47 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ItalianSxS-

I still think your gun was made for a lefty. Of all the reasons I can think of to make the gun open the opposite way, this one is the most plausible.

The front trigger is still firing the more open-choked bbl, right? So that makes sense.

By traditional do you mean the triggers are swept to catch a right-handed shooter's trigger finger, or neutral (no cast either way)?

From what Jakearoo says, a lefty may have preferred the triggers the way they are.

On my Scott, the triggers are nuetral (no cast either way).

OWD

BTW: what's the record for responses and views for a post?

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Georgi
Taking a look at the 1889 Merwin, Hulbert, & Co, catalog, I note that the Scott Premier is going for $300 ($315 in 10 gauge.) The finest "Quality A" Parker could be had for $240 and the "Quality AA" LC Smith for $270. Only the "Highest Quality" Westley Richards gun is in the same price range as the Premier. Winchester '73 rifles started at $17.

For $300 in 1889 you could buy a small farm. A 140 acre farm in the south was valued at $1,402.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo

It is MUCH easier for a left hander to shoot standard double triggers. Think about it. A right hander has to pull the front trigger then disengage and get inside that trigger to the back one. A lefty simply has to let his finger slip to the rear.

Jake I'm left handed also and I made those same assumptions that you did. It does seem like they were tailor made for us lefties.....but they weren't.
Let your barrels get real hot or have a loose hold on your gun and it won't take you long to figure it out when you get the double whammy a few times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD I've probably not handled as many doubles as you have I've never notived cast in the triggers maybe I missed it.

I still believe it is 'very doubtfull' that Scott built a left handed action at the turn of the century...I think it took us about 75 years to get a left handed Automatic.

If Scott did build a left handed action in 1900 I feel confident they were savy enough to reverse the triggers and the choking in the gun for a left handed shooter.
That's why in my original response about the gun I asked about the choking after I noticed the triggers were right handed.

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.