Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 12brd
What the heck. This is my kind of thread. Here are most of mine. From the top, 32in VR 12ga Trap, 30in 12 ga, 28 in 16ga, 28in 20ga. Top gun is supposedly one if not the largest 21's ever made. JW
WOOWY!

Sidelock
Sidelock

To add to the mix:
32" VR 12 Gauge IM/FULL "Custom Built By Winchester",
Shadow Line Cheekpiece, Monte Carlo with Hession fore end, believe built as a Live Pigeon gun.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a '67 custom grade w/box engraved by Salerno. Picked this one up out of an estate in Pennsylvania about 10 years ago, the quality of wood finish and wood is just OK. I like the older ones better myself (pre59)

Last edited by Cartod; 11/02/10 11:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

2Piper,

I read your comments on the round bolt and thank you for your observations plus the mention of other shotguns that have them. Apparently is not as rare as I thought.

You mention the load bearing cross pin in the Mod 21. From the pics I have seen it seems that the cross pin is supported by frame metal on the front, so the load is not borne by the pin alone.

The lack of a central bridge does raise some questions. On the other hand I wonder how much actual contact between the rear lump and the bridge (and hence support) there is during firing. I have tested with smoke a couple of my doubles and there does not seem to be any load transfer between rear lump and bridge, ie no detectable contact. Also, when a gun is off the face and the barrels are refitted, ie taken back a few thou, this contact would then be lost even if it existed when factory new.

I wonder if the gents who own Mod 21s can help with this question of the lock up of the round bolt. Have any of you had any experience with Mod21s shooting loose and the subsequent repair required to put them back "on face"?

Any had any problems of a loose action camming itself open during firing? I have heard of this problem with some OUs but not with a SXS.

As a non American non British European I do not harbor any alliance for any style of shotgun. And also have never had the chance to actually handle a Mod 21, there are none in my area. The reported strength of the action does fascinate me though since it seems to flout accepted (by the British) tenets of shotgun design. I wonder if there were British guns in that endurance test carried out by Winchester where the Mod 21 was pitted against the rest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover
2Piper,

I read your comments on the round bolt and thank you for your observations plus the mention of other shotguns that have them. Apparently is not as rare as I thought.

You mention the load bearing cross pin in the Mod 21. From the pics I have seen it seems that the cross pin is supported by frame metal on the front, so the load is not borne by the pin alone.

The lack of a central bridge does raise some questions. On the other hand I wonder how much actual contact between the rear lump and the bridge (and hence support) there is during firing. I have tested with smoke a couple of my doubles and there does not seem to be any load transfer between rear lump and bridge, ie no detectable contact. Also, when a gun is off the face and the barrels are refitted, ie taken back a few thou, this contact would then be lost even if it existed when factory new.

I wonder if the gents who own Mod 21s can help with this question of the lock up of the round bolt. Have any of you had any experience with Mod21s shooting loose and the subsequent repair required to put them back "on face"?

Any had any problems of a loose action camming itself open during firing? I have heard of this problem with some OUs but not with a SXS.

As a non American non British European I do not harbor any alliance for any style of shotgun. And also have never had the chance to actually handle a Mod 21, there are none in my area. The reported strength of the action does fascinate me though since it seems to flout accepted (by the British) tenets of shotgun design. I wonder if there were British guns in that endurance test carried out by Winchester where the Mod 21 was pitted against the rest.
The 21 barrels have a tensile strength of 115,000 pounds per square inch. In a 1932 ad Winchester fired the 21 with 3 1/4 drams of powder and 1 1/8 oz. of shot with the lug, lever, and locking bolt removed.

Case hardened frame guns have about half of the tensile strength (94,200 lbs vs. 174,600 lbs.) and elastic limit of the Win 21's blued frame.

Winchester tested the 21 with violent proofs (50% higher charges) against a Fox, Ithaca, Parker, and LC smith. The Fox failed after 80 rounds, the ithaca after 56, the Parker went 305, and they say records for the smith was lost but it also failed. The 21 went 2,000 rounds and was still in good working order.

*Herbert G. Houze, "a study of strength"

Last edited by Cartod; 11/02/10 03:10 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunlover

1. You mention the load bearing cross pin in the Mod 21. From the pics I have seen it seems that the cross pin is supported by frame metal on the front, so the load is not borne by the pin alone.

2. -any experience with Mod21s shooting loose and the subsequent repair required to put them back "on face"?

3. I wonder if there were British guns in that endurance test carried out by Winchester where the Mod 21 was pitted against the rest.

1. The cross pin has a bushing around it.

2. If a Model 21 does happen to become loose (rare), the bushing can be turned 1/2 turn and your good to go. If the bushing will not tighten it with a 1/2 turn, then it can be replaced with one that is slightly larger in size. There were several sizes.

3. I'm not sure if any British guns were used, or not. Probably not, cause who would what to destroy a Purdy, H&H, or a Boss among others? grin

Ole Cowboy
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just took a look at two guns I own with conventional hinge pins with double underbolts, one a J P Sauer the other a J P Clabrough. Both have the hinge pin supported by the frame. Both have the bbls joined by braizing, the Clabrough with a dovetail lug &Not Chopper) & the Sauer with a shoe lump. Both are over 100 yrs old, both show considerable use or at least handling, both are still tight & on face yet "Neither" have wear compensating "Anything". The bolting surfaces on both the bolt & the lug are simply paralell, no wedge shape.
Both of these guns have the forend secured by a deely latch, no spring loading to give frictional wear to mating surfaces. The benefit of the bearing area of the rear lug is of course highly dependent upon its fit (workmanship).
Again the main point of the 21's fame is its metalurgy, not any superior design. The Model 97, 12 & A5 put more double gun makers out of buisness than the 21 ever thought of.

Just as a side thought, anyone have any idea what type metal & type of bbl joining was used for Jefferey's .600 NE.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread's got me looking. In my three doubles, two British, one Italian, the front lump recess is parrallel, but the rear fits in a reciprocating wedge form with the underbolt.

Don Moody, thank you for the info on the bushing. It is a nifty idea for sure.

Piper, the idea od inbuilt wear compensation makes sense. I have seen hundreds of "best guns" off face and seen many strange ways of repair. Some forethought that would prevent TIG welding the lump is not a bad idea in my view. The replaceable bushing is a simple way to offer built in renovation and to stop any "innovative" smith from doing weird things. Beretta and Blaser, to name two, use these devices in their OUs.

As to the metallurgy versus design concept. It would seem that the material specified is part of the total equation, as is the manufacturing method. Bruce Owen, production manager at Purdeys, wrote a long time ago in Shooting Sportsman that Purdey had to change to modern steels when it went over to CNC machining. The old stuff just could not handle the faster feed and cut rates of the new machinery. If I recall he used the words "better steels" which kind of raises interesting questions as to the term "best", but that is for another thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SGL;
Yes I agree here that mat'l specs are litterally a part of the "Design". I was however generally speaking of the mechanical design features. This is where I say there is only extremely small improvments (if any) in the "design" of a 21. Its design improvement is its metalurgy. The hinge is a good one, but they just found a slightly different way of doing it, nothing really innovative. J W Livingston had a patent for a hinge pin back in 1880 which was used on John Nichol's hammer guns which accomplished the same purpose & of course D M Lefever & F R Smith's 1882 patent for the ball & socket joint are legendary.
Not sure about Purdey's assesments, generally speaking the milder the steel the faster you can cut it. May be some other factors involved.
The Clabrough & Sauer do not have compensation period. The top lever comes to a positive stop at center & the bolts just slide home. There is just the barest minimum of clearence for them to slide & though I wasn't around when they were built all indications are they have virtually the same clearence today as they had over 100 yrs ago. When you think about it, the friction on these bolts is essentially Nil, so they don't seem to wear. Likewise on the rear lump, as it is not Pulled into a frictional condition by a forend spring it doesn't wear to any extent either. Even if the hinge wears to some extent the gun can go "Off-Face" only to the extent of the clearence on that rear lump.
Winchester very wisely chose to use modern steels which were available to them upon introduction of the 21 & on that factor built a "Deserved" reputation of a solid & durable gun. They did not however make any great "Innovations" in gun design with it. There are litterally hundreds of makes out there built to a superior design, but mostly of lesser mat'ls, though most of these have given great service & satsfaction to their owners, many for a long time & for lot's of shooting.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any idea why they would have used differing types of steel for the receiver and for the floor plate? (eg. blue flaking off the floorplate)

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.