April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (L. Brown, GETTEMANS, montenegrin), 443 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,090
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure why outlawing moonflighting or other of the established and historical wildfowling practices legitimately allowed in the UK (i.e. puntgunning, use of 8 bores and larger) would necessarily make life better for other "sportsmen" given that

- most wildfowling clubs here are struggling to find members (new entrants are tough to find)
- there are probably less than half a dozen regular punt gunners in the UK in total
- moonflighting is wholly dependant on conditions; remember that there are are only 5/6 full moons in a season, most of which won't be suitable.

Most people who I have shot with have little or no experience of wildfowling, tending to shot driven game or rough shoot inland. Therefore, the impact of wildfowling on bird populations, disturbance etc generally continues to be very low level and is likely to continue to be so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the field what you guys do and what we do are worlds apart...most of what real hunters hunt here is wild game taken under fair chase meathods from what I've read most of what you guys hunt is kept game like is offered on pay to hunt reserves here....nothing more than an optical illusion of what hunting is about.

Ps...Destry your ego is too big to see very much. wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
In the field what you guys do and what we do are worlds apart...most of what real hunters hunt here is wild game taken under fair chase meathods from what I've read most of what you guys hunt is kept game like is offered on pay to hunt reserves here....nothing more than an optical illusion of what hunting is about.

Ps...Destry your ego is too big to see very much. wink

Then I suggest Joe that you get on a plane over here to see what the countless number of rough (i.e. wild bird) shooters and wildfowlers do because I assure you, it is about as far from reservation hunts as it could be. I would also be interested to know what you have been reading to provoke the statement above.

On a wider point, I posted information on here about how some shooting is done here in the UK because I genuinely thought it may be of interest to like-minded people. Frankly, if all I get is offensive comments such as this - which are absolutely unwarranted - I won't bother any longer. I have been "hunting" for 25 yrs since the age of 10 and I don't need anyone to tell me what is and is not acceptable.

Craig.

P.S I lived in the US for 6 yrs so am not entirely unaware of what US sportsmen do.

Last edited by CBL1; 10/07/10 09:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig,

Joe is like most uneducated idiots you run onto, all he knows about anything is what somebody told him. He's never been anywhere or done anything but feels free to pass judgement on the information or lack thereof that he thinks he has.

I've been over your way more than once, shot driven game and on the foreshore. I can speak from experience, what you all do is just as sporting as what we do here. Joe is a know it all that actually knows absolutely nothing, pay no attention to him as he's really not worth your time.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny how I think like US Game and Fish regarding what's sporting....

If eYe were you but I wouldn't call anyone an "idiot" sweety. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Awww Joe that's so sweet, you saved a picture of me on your computer. I shudder to think what you do when you look at it late at night....

As far as caling somebody an idiot, I only called you one and you've proven it so many times it doesn't even really need pointed out. Making that grand sweeping statement that all hunting in the UK is like an "optical illusion of what hunting is all about" is so stupid and without merit as to be hysterical.

You've never been hunting over there, all you know is what some other idiot told you while leaning on the stove at the feed store.

It's not all tweed caps, Purdey shotguns, and driven pheasants. For the regular blue collar folks it's shooting wild game under similar condition to how we shoot it here. Even the driven shooting is something to be admired if it's done right, at least much more than the put and take shooting like we have here.

They don't just turn those birds out of cages 15 minutes before the guns start going off. By law they can't be penned up after they're a few weeks old, they're raised running loose just like wild birds. They feed them and do major predator control to keep them from wandering off to the next farm. It's a science how it's all handled and run. The amount of effort that's taken to put on a good driven shoot is incredible compared to the put and take game stuff that's run here.

So yeah, I'll definitely stand by my statement that you're an idiot.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

....And I'll let yer picture stand as you being an idiOt laugh

Ps...I didn't save your picture I just copied and pasted it grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I brought the E.M. Reilly down to The Backwoods SxS event today & had several of the more knowledgeable dealers there take a look at it. The consensus was that it was built as a pinfire 4 bore sporting gun around 1870 & a little later converted to centerfire, probably by the maker. The bores both measured .894. I still don't have an accurate weight but I plan to do that this coming week on postal scales.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Knowledgeable dealers.....that was comical

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well jOeY: What about Kirby Hoyt of Vintage Doubles, Steve Barnett of Steve Barnett Fine Guns & Dave Powell of Guns International, to say nothing of Jim Kelly of Darlington Gun Works who has probably forgotten mor about gunmaking than all of us put together will ever know!

I don't think that I'm the one that's comical. I think that's thou!
No make that pathetic.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.