March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Perry M. Kissam, Jason Dubois, GeorgeGibbs505, Licensed to kill, 1 invisible), 909 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I stumbled across these Gustav Tichy of Moravska Ostrava(Mährisch Ostrau) longarm images. I believe he gave Lovena a run for their money or Gustav Tichy & Lovena sourced the same craftsmen for their sidelock examples.

I'm leaning that the falling block was sourced from the craftsmen at Zella-Mehlis.

Falling block with some interesting text on the right side of the tube

The owner/seller gave that the O/U had a 1958 date on it, if I read it correctly. But this O/U passed thru the Zella-Mehlis proofhouse more than likely during WWI or shortly thereafter. So just from these few examples it seems that Gustav Tichy had a pretty solid sourcing line to the craftsmen at Zella-Mehlis.

Anyone have any Gustav Tichy examples or info? He passed thru Frantisek Faukner's shop as a journeyman.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There are proofmarks on the right side and there looks to be a datastring but I can't make it out.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
I stumbled across these Gustav Tichy of Moravska Ostrava(Mährisch Ostrau) longarm images. I believe he gave Lovena a run for their money or Gustav Tichy & Lovena sourced the same craftsmen for their sidelock examples.

Anyone have any Gustav Tichy examples or info? He passed thru Frantisek Faukner's shop as a journeyman.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Raimey, why do you connect Lovena and Tichy? One of the sidelocks you posted has pin placement similar to my Lovena but the other is quite different. I guess I'm asking what else are you seeing that makes you think some of the same craftsmen did work for both.

Regards,

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

canvasback:

I guess I should have better stated my tongue in cheek response in that in my mind I was inferring that both Lovena and Tichy more than likely had the same or similar clients and the probability is pretty high that the craftsmen at Lovena and Tichy passed thru the same shops as journeymen. Also both Lovena and Tichy sourced the same, or similar, craftmen for components or longarms in the white. It seems that WWI is a watershed moment for a firearms merchant actually contributing effort toward the end product in that prior to WWI, and it may be a factor of mechanization, shops may have just sourced components while post WWI it appears that they were ordering weapons with their name roll stamped on the tubes. I've seen pre-1900 examples where the craftsmen at the firearm merchant's shop actually overstamped the marks of the craftsmen who actually performed the work. So many times the marks are either overstamp or worked off in an attempt to conceal the master craftsmen.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: GTichy
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, Got it. Thank you.

Regards,

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gustav Tichy's Great-Grand-Daughter, Ingrid Vyhmister of Seattle, has kindly contacted me and her father Alexander Tichy, now 74 years of age, does remember Gustav Tichy. Alexander Tichy's father, also named Alexander, moved the family to Brasil in the 1950s and at least one of Alexander's brothers resides there now.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone out there, especially any cog-heads, think this Gustav Tichy patent may have been intended for gun tubes: http://www.google.com/patents?id=yNN5AAA...p;q&f=false ??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister we now know that Gustav Tichy was born in 1867, probably in Bohemian, but the exact location is unknown for now. In either 1898 or 1899, and I'm sure a master gunsmith and finanically secure by this time, he married seamstress Karalina Brychova, who was born in 1873 and expired in 1935. They were married very near Salzburg in Austria. During WWII, in 1942, the lone bell tolled for Gustav Tichy and he was interred in a cemetery that was later purportedly bulldozed by the Russians and an apartment complex built upon the site.

Now I need any & all images of his offerings.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

]

The script on the right side of the tube appears to be "Na pamiatke 50 letnich urodziny" in Polish and roughly translates to Remembering the 50th Birthday. With the Polish border less than 10 miles away from Ostrava, I'm sure Gustav Tichy had many Polish clients.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

ellenbr Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ingrid Tichy Vyhmister has acquired an image from the late 1930s of Gustav with his son Alexander and grandson. Also some fine fella send me this link which has a Gustav Tichy & Company 20 bore sourced from Ludwig Borovnik, one of Ferlach's top craftsmen:

http://it.armiusate.it/catalogo/233/Shot...OROVNIK-20.html

Swan's neck??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.