May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Der Ami, Kip, Themauserkid), 868 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,856
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

W&C Scott was never in the thick of things with the London shooting crowd, so they made their money exporting guns.
Our own Rocketman has W&C Scott in the third tier - for every nice gun made, there were hundreds of rough, keeper and for export guns. This might not have gone over well with the uppish.
Why would the lord, have a gun like his keeper hmmmmmmm?
Thus you have the London trade!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,

Would you mind sharing the small number forward of the barrel flats on the Lindner set of barrels? I may be able to give you a rough date on when Lindner fitted the extra set of barrels on the gun. I'm curious to see how this number fits into the timeline of other Lindner guns.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,

This has probably already been ask, but what is the purpose of the small windows on the sides of the locks?

Thanks,

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay its to see if the hammers are cocked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So aside from name, what would a buyer get for the money spent on a Purdy, Boss or H&H? I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of SxS is pretty much limited to American guns. But I look at the deep, fine engraving, the fit and finish of the wood, the spectacular damascus, and how the gun locks up and I don't think the Brothers Parker, let alone Fox or Smith made many guns that compare astetically. The Purdys, Boss and H&H guns I have seen and handled have all been beautiful guns and certainly well made, but nothing stands out as being so superior to what I see in my Scott.

Again, my experience is limited so I am looking for the thoughts of those with much more experience than I. Rocketman, what can you tell me?

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It could have been a class thing, but it has carried over here to the states.
Not much class struggle here eh!
Today, the Purdey costs many-many thousands more than the high grade Scott.
There are reasons other than the name - which has been blamed too many times here.
The fellows who shot birds by the hundreds and thousands, knew something we didn't in our handful of today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,

The number on the Lindner set is 1299. I thought I had forwarded this information on your form a couple of years ago. Did I send you the information on the .410 Daly/Lindner here in SLC?

Thanks for the information on the barrel fitting!

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lowell Glenthorne

The fellows who shot birds by the hundreds and thousands, knew something we didn't in our handful of today.

Lowell could you explain this statement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell,

There was a time when Purdey did not build just best guns. A good measure of their output was built in Birmingham by companies such as Scott. The same goes for most of the London trade. The London trade has limited its output to best guns when it serves them to. I agree that a best gun from Purdey, Boss, or Holland and Holland is the pinnacle of the art, but a good many Birmingham makers build just as well without the price or the snob appeal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell this posts is not about your thoughts on Birmingham guns verses London guns....Do you have anything to offer on Premier grade Scotts ?

You really should start your own thread before you get reprimanded again....

Besides I don't know who I'm talking to Lowell. You could be the Prime Min'ster of London for all I know...lol

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.