March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 836 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

At $50,000 I don't think there was ever any threat of selling it. Big double four bore shotguns do bring that kind of money in the UK but not bored out double rifles with super thin chamber walls.

DLH

Last edited by MarketHunter; 10/04/10 11:04 AM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

Destry: My Reilly began life as a shotgun not a rifle, according to Jim Kelly the gunsmith who restored it. The chamber walls are over 3/16 inch thick (I wouldn't call that "super thin" by any stretch of the imagination)Do I detect a bit of envy here?

BTW: I have left the description and pictures on my site but marked the gun: "NOT FOR SALE"

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

If it did then it sure didn't start life as a 4 bore. It's bored out from something smaller, that's why the chamber walls are so thin. And yes, for the pressures that you're dealing with on a 4 bore charge, I'd say that 3/16 is just a bit over tinfoil.

Jim Kelley? Is he an expert on big bore British shotguns? If he is then I'd very much like to speak with him as I like to discuss that sort of thing. Tell us all about him, how many of these has he worked on in the past?

If you want to talk about envy shall I send you pics of my Churchill double 8 gauge that weighs about 16 pounds and has chamber walls approaching cannon barrel thickness? How about pics of me shooting driven ducks with a Holland & Holland double 4 gauge in England? No George, I'm not even slightly envious of your bored out double rifle.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Destry,Well, I didn't start this pissin' contest, "my blank is bigger than your blank" but until proven otherwise I'll stand by Jim's assessment of my gun (especially since he has seen it & you haven't)I am attempting to obtain the original information on my gun from the successors to Riggs & Co. who bought Reilly in the early part of the 20th. century. I too, have two eight bore doubles, a Joseph Braddell of Belfast and a James Beattie of London, and they weigh in at @ 15 pounds each (the Braddell being a bit heavier). I haven't had the Reilly properly weighed and measured but I will do so at the first opportunity I would love to see pics of your Churchill 8 bore & of you shooting ducks (I didn't know that you could drive ducks) in England with a H&H 4 bore. I really like my Reilly four and apparently, judging from the numerous posts here,many other knowledgeable folks seem to like it too.

Best Regards, George

BTW: You can reach Jim most weekdays at The Darlington Gun Works Phone (843)393-3931 Jim learned his trade as an Air Force gunsmith in Germany at the end of WWII working side by side with Master German gunsmiths. I'll take his evaluation over almost anyone's. I'm sure that he would be more than happy to discuss my gun with you.

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

*shakes head*

I can see the chamber walls pretty clearly in the pics, I'll stand by my tinfoil description. And you said it weighed what? Yeah.....

Also those safety catches on the hammers would tell anybody that knew anything about big bore shotguns all they need to know.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

"did it rattle?" Those "safety catches" are properly called STALKING SAFETIES which tells me all I need to know about those who make grandoise claims of knowledge.

Best Regards, George

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, that's exactly right, and they don't put them on shotguns. What use would they be?

I didn't use the phrase because I figured you weren't familiar with it.

DLH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I dunno. If I'm scoring that last round, Destry wins it with his roundhouse right to the kisser regarding the stalking safeties

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not the one who said "safety catches" which to me means hooks & eyes. Destry, don't try to guess at what I'm not familiar with. I've lived a long time and in places you've only read about. I don't claim to know it all, but I do claim that I know who to ask. Prodigious pronouncements based on a picture tends to follow an inflated ego.

Best Regards, George

Sidelock
Sidelock

George why do you have 300+ English Cracker barrel (wall hangers) SxS's listed for sale....Was that part of the learning process ?

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.