April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Lloyd3, Chad Linder, Marks_21, earlyriser, 2 invisible), 224 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,017
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

George's BIG 4 BORE.

Last edited by Phillip Carr; 09/12/10 04:21 PM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: George L.
The gun weighs in at 12 pounds 4 ounces. Bore diameter is 7/8 inches. Wall thickness is .035 & .037 inches. Chamber are 4 inches. I will shoot her if I can find some suitable cartridges. I'm not planning the shoot the old ones that came with her. I'll talk with the RST folks at The Vintagers to see if they can come up with some. I'll be e-mailing Phillip som pictures.

Best Regards, George

Your restoration turned out very well. She is quite a grand Lady. At 12lbs 4oz I wouldn't want to shoot her with much more than 6 or 7 drams of black or a tad less. You might want to call Roland Huber (603 267 8227), he may have a few cases ready to send now and you know about Rocky Mountain. John Millar can make reproduction period reloading tools to load your own and they look good in presentation with the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You won't find suitable cartridges for sale here in the US, they just aren't out there. RST doesn't even fool with 8 gauge stuff which might actually have a slight market so I'd imagine they won't be of any help with 4 gauge which has zero.

As far as I know, the only person in the world that has a loading machine and does sort of "production" 4 gauge shells is Alan Myers in England. He had a die made to mold an all plastic case and loads shells into them on special order. He doesn't sell the cases empty anymore as far as I know, he just sells loaded shells.

There would be no way to ship loaded cartridges from there, you'd have to fly over and pick some up then fly them back. Last time I saw him he had a couple boxes he'd brought along to shoot at geese in a Rhoda double 4 bore. I believe the price tag on the lead loaded ones was £225 for 25 cartridges. And yes, that's the pound symbol not the dollar symbol. There's no guarantee they'd fit in your gun anyway, 4 bore chamber sizes vary wildly.

Your only chance will be to buy brass and load your own, it's just that simple.

Destry

P.S. I think Armbrust had a few of the Myers made plastic cases at one time. You might try him I suppose.

Last edited by MarketHunter; 09/12/10 08:07 PM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

The light weight of the gun seems odd for a 4 bore shotgun.

Are the barrels serial numbered to the gun...and could we see proof marks ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

George,

That is amazing. I saw the gun at Jim's earlier this year, right after you dropped it off and before he began work on it. Hard to believe it's the same gun. Congratulations on a job well done. I'll tell Jim next time I see him.

Let me know if and when you decide to shoot her. I'll ride up and take pictures if I can, and if you don't mind.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roland is quite a person, I would look forward to doing business with him again just for the experience! Product was good and fairly priced too:)

7/8" bores are a lot closer to 8 bore than 4 bore....I would certainly recommend a chamber cast, that would be a forcing cone restriction I would not think would lean towards good patterns, fiber wad sealing priorities or not.

And should the cones be stepped or very steep, it would be good to know...did I miss what the proofs were?

4 bore chamber, 6 bore barrels that seem kinda common?

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 4's do vary quite a bit, 4 bore chamber, 6 or 5 or 4 bore diameter. Gun weights are variable also. Perhaps the bores are a bit more than 7/8? If you can't turn up any casings, let me know I might part with a couple but as stated above they will probably need a little work to fit them to your needs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

12 lbs for a 4 bore....most 8's weigh that.

Something fishy going on some where.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a single barrel 8 bore that weighs almost that much. Maybe this was a 4 bore featherlight. Good for a covey of grouse with each barrel.

I agree with earlier post... Tom Armbrust is the man to talk to. A true gentleman and possibly the most knowledgable big bore guy in the states.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's definitely a 4-bore. It came with six loaded & one empty high brass 4 gauge Winchester shells. I'm going to weigh it again & precisely measure the bores and chambers.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.