March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 890 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
Quote:
(BTW: who are you, LRF?)

Can you explain the question, one could read it more then one way, please?

What's to explain?
You know who I am, Michael is, Terry, Harry, mark...

Speaking of Sharps, I was scanning some old 4x5 images and ran across these unpublished photos of a Sharps M-77 John Madole and I built many years ago.

It had a cut-rifled barrel blank by Ron Long, barrel contouring and all metalwork from scratch by John, I stocked and finished the rifle and Eric Gold engraved it. Sharps 2 1/10, and it shot very well. Probably hasn't been fired since I did about 1993(?)

BTW: Michael, I thought that looked like a Ron Smith barrel blank!

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steven,
I live in Minneapolis area
Originally from NE Iowa
In my youth out of HS Uncle Sam gave me a free airline ticket to exotic SE Asia. I was an EOD tech (Explosive ordance disposal) Stayed 2 years instead of 1 cause it was way fun...seriously

When to school to study Poly Sci but quite cause I didn't like politicians. Became a toolmaker and then self taught myself engineering and computer sci.

I was a gun engraver way back but can't see to do it anymore. I built the prototypes 3D pantographs for Don Allen which his dakota arms sold. Al Lind still uses the original prototype that I built.

I was caught up in the custom gun making in the 1980's hay day period, knew Al Biesen quite well. I still call Mark Lee (of blueing fame) a friend although we have drifted apart.

I have made a number of single shots which I shot in BPCR for many years but don't really do that any more. I am now into building rifles my son hunts with. (We have a rule that a rifle or bow for that matter is only good for one animal and then it must be retired) The 300 H&H M70 with my G&H mounts is the gun for this year. I don't hunt I just go along. I don't hunt anymore because I'm not mad at any animals.

I also build tall case clocks which are very fancy, each very different and of my own designs and they are for my grandkids who are my passion. (I gave up the wife 25 years ago and just raised my boys myself)

That is who I am I guess, hope it helps.

Oh yes, a number of years ago, I stopped one time to visit Ed Webber and then stopped by the Sharps guys there in town, before I left they both offered me a job, but the pay out there in Mt just isn't what I get here. Thought it was kind of honoring and funny at the same time.

Was thinking about hunting south of you, your in Livingston aren't you? but have decided to go a little west of Broadview.

Lynn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LRF
Harry,

I would be interested in knowing more about what Lozito-Wolf did to retain the BB and lever in the closed position?
My design is basically an internal spring which applies pressure to what you think would try to force the breech block down but in fact because the lever and link are just a tiny bit over center the spring force causes the lever to be pulled up and tight to the closed position.

Hello Lynn,

Little is given away by Lozito-Wolf, they merely say they have improved the lever spring by fitting a spring loaded roller to the front of the action which bears upon the front end of the lever. I presume this design is 'Patented'. A styalised picture of their action can be seen here:-

http://www.lozito-wolf.com/1878.html

The small protrusion on the lower front of the action it the new spring housing. It looks to me as it it is simply a screwed in item, containing a coil spring and a captive steel ball of a suitable diameter (rather like the spring loaded ball catch used on internal house and cupboard doors some years ago). Very little movement of the spring loaded ball would be necessary when the lever is used, probably no more than 1/8" or 3/16" in all. The idea is so simple I'm very surprised no one has thought of it before.

I presume in the Lozito-Wolf design that the breechblock position is maintained the same way as the original Sharps design, by an over the centre link connected to the breech block and the lever and kept in position when the breech block is closed by pressure on the lever from the new spring loaded ball design.

I would be interested in seeing any improvements you can come up with, there's always room for new and bright ideas in the single shot action world.

Sadly it's too late to make a copy of that spring loaded ball replacement to fit onto my action, I've machined too much metal away to make one fit. Still my action was intended to be a true copy of the original Borchardt. Perhaps I'll make another some day and use all the new modifications available, lol. I should live that long.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got an email this morning from a friend that suggested Shiloh was thinking about building a Borchardt. Anyone know about this?

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov
I got an email this morning from a friend that suggested Shiloh was thinking about building a Borchardt. Anyone know about this?

I'd put that one in the "everyone-is-thinking-about-building-a-singleshot" file right along with the latest high wall, peregrine,and numerous farqursons...

Shilo might actually pull it off though!
I've also seen ads for the business For Sale with local realtors, but not lately..

What about Argus Barker? Recently ran across a paper file with an old Rifleman story about his Borchardt, Stevensville, MT dated 10/1989?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A word about the Borchardt triggers. This has been my summer (as if we ever had one) project, a Malden-Niedner in caliber .25 HP Niedner AKA .25-Krag.

Mr. Niedner worked over the firing pin making it a smaller diameter and cleaned up everything. I can see no modifications to the original trigger. The breech-block has the typical Niedner hole in the top for escaping gas.

When I first started working with this rifle it took some time to get acquainted with the trigger pull. Because the other Niedner Borchardt has DST this one felt really bad!

I always start a database and enter all my load information so I started to notice that my later load on any given shooting session seemed better. Almost like a lead bullet rifle that you have to shoot some to condition the bore. I clean this rifle with No.9 and patch on a button tip only, I have never used a brush but I will if it ever loads up with copper fouling. Anyway I left the bore dirty for my next trip to the range.

This is an exceptional shooting rifle, even when fire forming brass, it does well. I can no longer complain about the trigger.

Yes, I still clean the rife after shooting it but I know now if I want minute-of-fly I need to foul it first.

Not bad for 100 year old rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov

Michael,

That thread on the Shiloh Borchardts, on the Shiloh Rifle Forum, comes up at least once a year and has done so for at least five years. The last I heard there were three or four part made prototypes lying on a bench in the factory, all gathering dust.

Kirk never seems to lack orders and that's what's keeping him busy. They must be showing Quigley Down Under on the TV Channels again. lol.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, Wonderful target!
Range?
sights?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael,

I recall you said the trigger pull on the Niedner was over 8 lbs. Could you talk John into coming out of retirement for "one more little project" and have him do the trigger modification as on your .38-72, Goergen's Zischang, and described by Harry above? If he wants to do two, to better amortize his design time and tooling, I'd be happy to send up the big .30-40!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.