April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (ithaca1, Ian Forrester, gasgunner, canvasback, 2 invisible), 988 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,110
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#202019 09/07/10 06:05 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I recently came across a beautiful falling block rifle, made by Wilber J. Hauck of W. Arlington, VT. The caliber is .17 Ackley Hornet, has dbl set triggers, a 2" Unertl 12X Ultra Varmit Scope & a very unusual engraving I refer to as relief. It has gold layering on much of the engraving. There appears to be an engraver's signature in the upper left corner of the receiver with the initials HP enclosed within the design. I do have pics available on gunbroker.com. Any help in identifying the engraver will be greatly appreciated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, beauty is said to be in the eye of the beholder, and as far as this beholder is concerned, that's a high quality hand built rifle action, made by a very respected gunsmith, that has been completely spoilt by inconsiderate stocking and ornamentation both in wood inlay and engraving. The engraving style is germanic and I don't recognise the artist from that work.

I'm also trying to work out just what it was built for; it's chambered for a varmint cartridge, it has a Scheutzen semi 'Perch belly' stock but without the correct style of buttplate, it has a laminated benchrest style forearm which is incorrectly matched to the style of stock, or vice versa.

I presume Sir, you are the seller, so perhaps you can explain.

To others wanting to view this rifle it can be found here:-

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188855263

I for one will not be bidding.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 09/07/10 07:50 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with Harry on this one. The very best part of this auction is the scope and the next-best is the cartridge box.

I've seen a number of Haucks and curiously every single one of them has been equipped with a Unertl 2" scope, usually an Ultra Varmint as is this one. IMO some Europhile obtained the original rifle and then had it restocked and engraved.

Worth a lot less than the reserve but who knows? I guess we'll see.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not necessarily RESTOCKED- the Hauck was available as an "action only". It obviously wasn't stocked by Wilbur himself!

Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was much more intrigued with Hauck's rifles before I saw a few. They are much more interesting for what they could have been than for what the are.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clunky oversize action, when you open and close it you can hear the racket from far away. Don't recall ever seeing one with a safety. Very strong according to the reviewers in the 50s. Some were made for belted magnums. Most are stocked much too fat. Russell Gilmore has or had a .30, I think a .308, maybe a .30-40, stocked by Creighton Audette that was fairly handy, I was tempted but the lack of a safety catch put me off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still want a Hauck, but not that one. Yuk!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure who that engraver is however the HP is Hauck Proof. And not to put anyone's gun down... just being honest. That is not Wilburs stock work.

Last edited by hammerback; 09/07/10 04:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Lord!! I think that is some of the worst executed engraving I have ever seen.The deer looks like it was done by a 10 year old.I'm sure the engraver would not want to be known if he is still engraving as he has got to have progressed way beyond the work done here. I can never understand why some engravers bite off more than they can chew,so to speak, when they are first learning how to engrave. I have seen a number of high quality guns turned into junk by being the beginning projects of student engravers. They need to practice on copper practice plates and belt buckle or whatever before working on a good gun.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Gentlemen One and All,
I came to this site in hopes of getting honest and true opinions on this, what turns out to be, something of a cross between an abortion and a FUBAR'ed, but apparently a decent quality weapon at one time. Please understand that I am a very ignorant man when it comes to what a real Quality firearm actually consists. I was sincerely struck with what I thought I was holding in my hands the day I received the Hauck. I too felt the stock was wrong for the rifle, but didn't actually know what it should have been. There was a story with the rifle as follows; Mr. Hauck was approached to make 4 rifles of similar caliber to be used for shooting [here I am guessing somewhat] prairie dogs or such; with two of the rifles going to a Tx. Judge, one to a Tx. Federal Law-Man with the fourth going to ????. This rifle is the fourth, and was acquired through a gun show purchase some 30+ years ago. It was purchased by a friend of mine over 25 years ago after the owner [a friend of his] died. It has been setting in a garage ever since, prior to my receiving it last April.

The HP standing for Hauck Proof makes sense to me as there are no marks on the bbl. I agree the action is far over made for the caliber, it is huge. I suspect the original owner had the crappie smile stock and fore end installed for shooting off bags?

Now that I have accepted the bad news on Mr. Hauck's rifle; is there any good news, value wise, to speak about. What should I expect to receive as a reasonable offer for the whole shebang; or should I part it out; scope, box & gun???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.